Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak 8 w/ the Museum Train in Glenview, IL

Date: 05/02/16 18:43
Amtrak 8 w/ the Museum Train in Glenview, IL
Author: sethamtrak

Amtrak 8 as it departs Glenview running about 45 minutes behind. It lost time due to a bridge malfunction south of Milwaukee Depot as well as single tracking between Oakwood and Truesdell in WI. Its also of note that the train came VERY close to hitting a cyclist that didn't look and rode across the tracks about a train car length away from the nose of the lead unit. You would think a middle age man would know better but what do I know. I haven't seen something that close in many years! The train came in real slow account the long train and extra air time. Had it been a normal day and normal say 35MPH arrival speed instead of 20-25 he would have been hit for sure. Anyway enjoy the video clip and photos attached!

And about me not posting in months, I have been quite busy with my junior year in High School! I'm swamped with schoolwork and my Private Car trip in two weeks can't come soon enough!

Seth- (www.youtube.com/user/sethamtrak)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/02/16 18:55
Re: Amtrak 8 w/ the Museum Train in Glenview, IL
Author: wa4umr

Wow, Amtrak with DP !   OK, I know that's not what it really is, but it sort of looks that way.

Nice catch.

John

Date: 05/02/16 19:20
Author: SpeederDriver

Could someone tell us what it really is?

Date: 05/02/16 19:59
Author: 3rdswitch

Amtrak San Diegans used to run all the time with a unit at each end if they were more than seven cars although techically they ran via the MU cable and not genuine DP it was basically the same without the independent running capabilities.
JB

Date: 05/02/16 20:42
Author: Spoony81

SpeederDriver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could someone tell us what it really is?
>  

Locomotive needed in case the train needs to move at its next stop is my guess.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/03/16 06:01
Author: santafedan

Seth, just wait until yout senior year!  Busier still.

Date: 05/03/16 06:22
Author: viatrainrider

For me, it would have been hard to concentrate on school work with a private car trip coming up!!  Have a great  trip.  Thanks for posting!!

Date: 05/03/16 11:47
Author: davebb71

This was the museum train that was in St Paul, MN over the weekend for train day. Dave, out.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/03/16 22:38
Author: Lairport

The F40 is a cab car and provides head-end power when train is parked. It has no traction motors.NPCU 406Built for Amtrak in July 1988 by General Motors' Electro-Motive Division as 3,000 horsepower F40PH locomotive number 406,
was rebuilt as Non-Powered Control Unit number 406 in 2011 at the Amtrak Beech Grove, IN, maintenance facility. As a locomotive, the 406 operated on various routes prior to being stored in 2001.
It was added to the Exhibit Train to allow the train to operate in either direction without having to be turned around. The 406 also provides Head End Power (HEP) to power the onboard lights and HVAC systems.

Date: 05/04/16 13:32
Author: jst3751

Lairport Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The F40 is a cab car and provides head-end power
> when train is parked. It has no traction
> motors.NPCU 406Built for Amtrak in July 1988 by
> General Motors' Electro-Motive Division as 3,000
> horsepower F40PH locomotive number 406,
> was rebuilt as Non-Powered Control Unit number 406
> in 2011 at the Amtrak Beech Grove, IN, maintenance
> facility. As a locomotive, the 406 operated on
> various routes prior to being stored in 2001.
> It was added to the Exhibit Train to allow the
> train to operate in either direction without
> having to be turned around. The 406 also provides
> Head End Power (HEP) to power the onboard lights
> and HVAC systems.

Which is it, your posting contridictory information. You said it is non-powered but then say it provides power.

Date: 05/05/16 17:36
Author: davew833

NPCU #406 has a diesel generator installed in the engine compartment to provide HEP for the museum train. It does NOT have its original prime mover. So it provides power, but cannot pull the train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds