Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Passenger Trains > Coming to Winslow soon

Date: 06/21/16 22:48
Coming to Winslow soon
Author: Hookdragkick

ATSF 502 "Pleasure Dome" sitting in Belen now. Santa Fe Southern sold the car (to whom?) and it was picked up by a yard job who went to Lamy. It's scheduled for an H BELPHX by the 24th at least, with a destination of Winslow. La Posada?

Hopefully others on here will have more info.

Date: 06/21/16 23:51
Re: Coming to Winslow soon
Author: The_Chief_Way

I did read somewhere else that it had been sold to the owners of La Posada.

Date: 06/22/16 03:24
Author: cutboy2

Let's  hope this   abused/neglected  car  headed  to Winslow!!

Date: 06/22/16 07:11
Author: hogtrain

Looks about like the ATSF 500 when we acquired it from Amtrak in Seattle.

Date: 06/22/16 07:49
Author: px320

This car was privately owned and under lease to the Santa Fe Southern. The former owner has indeed sold it to the owner of the La Posada and it will be parked on a spur next to the hotel, refurbished and used for special events.

Date: 06/22/16 08:05
Author: Hookdragkick

Well, if it's going to sit at La Posada, i'll be seeing a lot of it as we pass by. Does the owner also own the Pennsy and the Silver/Orange passenger car too?

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/16 09:02

The Pennsy Slpr-Lge-Obs and Bagg-Dorm-Lge are owned by a different person.

​I  kept the Pony Express in Winslow from Oct 2008 'til Dec 2011.

​Pic shows the Pony coupled to the Louis Sockalexis immediately after its first arrival in winslow.

Great place to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 09:11 by px320.

Date: 06/22/16 11:12
Author: d500

If Car 502-Pleasure Dome/Turquoise Room Lounge is on its way to the La Posada then it'll be neighbor to the Turquoise Room Restaurant which was named after the special dining room inside the famed series of Santa Fe cars built for the 1951 Super Chief.  Kind of wondering about the car's structure after seeing the photos. Hopefully the owner has good intentions to restore it back to its glory whether for stationary or rolling PV use. 

Date: 06/22/16 16:11
Author: symph1

Here are shots of it in Lamy, taken a couple years ago.

Date: 06/22/16 16:28
Author: BuddPullman

Santa Fe Topeka Shops, replaced the corten side sheets under the corrugation with stainless steel panels before they were retired by Amtrak.  I recall this was done on most, if not all, the Pleasure Domes.  Fantastic cars, I hope they all remain running or preserved somewhere! 

Date: 06/22/16 16:36
Author: Topfuel

d500 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> ..........Hopefully the owner has good intentions
> to restore it back to its glory whether for stationary
> or rolling PV use. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up on that one. 

Date: 06/22/16 17:00

You can only hope it'll look something like it did on the Santa Fe, however since someone else bought it, I didn't, it's the owner's prerogative.  Having said that, more often than not, a car doesn't return to its original interior appearance.  We can only hope for the best. I still wonder about the mechanical and structural condition of the car. 

Date: 06/22/16 18:23
Author: agentatascadero

ATSF 503, the Plaza Santa Fe, now, it seems to me, is the Pride of the Fleet, and may well be the only Amtrak certified member of the group.  To me, the interior looks far better than new.  As delivered, the cars were delivered with Danish Modern furniture, wwhich, to me, looked rather cheap and tacky as compared to most contemporary lounge cars I've seen of the '50s generation.  AA 

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 06/22/16 18:34

Right your are Mr. White!  The Plaza Santa Fe is the Pride of the Fleet and presents the furniture style from Santa Fe's late 50's update and remodel.  The museum group in Southern AZ is in the midst of restoring a Pleasure Dome that was donated to them.

Date: 06/22/16 21:41
Author: mococomike

This car will be incorporated into an art center being built on the east side of the La Posada property. Research Winslow Art Trust which owns 8 acres east of the hotel, the depot, El Gran Garage across the street and the Snowdrift Art Space. This whole area around the hotel is being developed into museum, art and garden spaces. Www.winslowartstrust.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 21:51 by mococomike.

Date: 06/23/16 08:45

Pleasure Dome 504 "Plaza Taos" is restored and on display at the Arizona Railway Museum 330 E. Ryan Rd. Chandler, AZ 85286

​Much of the original interior furniture has been found, refurbished and installed, thanks to Wayne Yetter, owner/operator of sister car "Plaza Santa Fe"
​Other items have been carefully reproduced by museum volunteers.

See http://www.azrymuseum.org for more info on the museum and its extensive exhibits.
​The museum is open to the public from Labor Day through Memorial Day.  We close for the summer because it is just too hot!

Stan Garner, ​Director
Arizona Railway Museum

Date: 06/23/16 16:15
Author: DocJones

This is a bit off-topic but I'd sure like to see the former Cotton Belt business car "Pine Bluff" come under the wing of a benefactor. I had the pleasure of riding it a couple times when Todd Petersen had it and kept it on a siding in Arcadia. When the Metro Gold Line began construction it was taken away and from what I've been able to find out it belongs to a movie prop company in La Mirada and is languishing in their yard. It got its start as the SP business car 104, the "San Jose".

Have fun, be safe,
Bruce "Doc": Jones  Sierra Madre CA

Date: 06/27/16 13:28
Author: mundo

Here is info posted b y the owners:In 1950 the Santa Fe Railway decided to create a super-deluxe private dining car. They contracted with the Pullman Company for six ‘Pleasure Domes' - based on the Samuel Coleridge poem Kubla Khan: “In Xanada did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree'.  These beautiful streamline modern stainless steel sided cars were the first domes owned by the Santa Fe. There would be a lounge on one end, a step up observation dome with swivel chairs on top, a step down bar in the middle, and a private dining room for 12 – the Turquoise Room – on the other end. The pleasure domes were used on the Super Chief and traveled between Los Angeles and Chicago. Mary Colter's beautiful Mimbreno China was used in the Turquoise Room. Made in America reproductions of the china are now available at La Posada. Our car is the Santa Fe #502. When AMTRAK took over passenger service this became AMTRAK #9352. The Pleasure Domes were all retired and sold off in 1981. We found the #502 in Lamy New Mexico, where it was parked unused on a siding for the Lamy Railroad and History Museum. After a few months of investigation (could it be restored? could it be moved to Winslow?) the Winslow Arts Trust purchased the #502 thanks to generous donations from the Candelaria Fund and Allan Affeldt.  The BNSF Railway then agreed to move the car to Winslow for $1! Meanwhile we have been finishing plans to restore the Winslow Depot as the Route 66 Art Museum. That project will go to bid for construction this summer and should open to the public next spring. The $1 million first phase of the museum is being funded by the Winslow Arts Trust and the National Transportation Enhancement program in cooperation with the City of Winslow. The #502 will be open to the public as part of the museum and will be located immediately east of the Winslow Depot on the private train track owned by La Posada. La Posada is now preparing the site, bringing power etc. The first phase of #502 restoration will consist of some new windows and gaskets, replacing some flooring, recreating the lounge and bar murals, and repairing the infrastructure (plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling). We need to raise $50,000 - $100,000 depending on how much donated labor we can find. We would be very grateful for donations of any size! The Winslow Arts Trust is a 501-c3 public benefit corporation so donations are tax deductible. Please call Allan Affeldt at 928-587-3268 for more information. Thanks for helping us to save this remarkable and beautiful piece of railroad history. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the #502!   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
      Page created in 0.0902 seconds