Home Open Account Help 410 users online

Passenger Trains > Metrolink Perris Valley Line - r/t Riverside to South Perris

Date: 06/24/16 23:33
Metrolink Perris Valley Line - r/t Riverside to South Perris
Author: casco17

I checked out the new Metrolink line extension today (June 24), with trains 732 and 733.
I had the entire train to myself on the outbound route.  Here are some pics from the day:
1. The train arrives on track 4 at the Riverside-Downtown station.
2. In one of the remote sections, a trackside photographer appears.  Someone on TO?
3. At the "end of the line" at South Perris, train 732 moves onto a siding. 
The branch continues beneath the freeway (I-215) bridge in the distance; there is a wholesale lumber company (rail customer) beyond the bridge

Instead of waiting 90 minutes for the return trip, I walked back along Case Road to the Downtown Perris station. There is a local transit bus that runs that route.

Date: 06/24/16 23:42
Re: Metrolink Perris Valley Line - r/t Riverside to South Perris

4. Here is the South Perris station parking area and platform.  There is a vending machine with cold drinks; I needed one for the hike back.
5. Never thought I'd see ATS devices on this branch!  Note the wood ties
6. A crossing with protective yellow warning pylons; both pics 5 and 6 face northwest towards Perris. 
I had walked along Case Road, which parallels the track

Date: 06/24/16 23:53

7. Train 733 arrives at Downtown Perris.  There are a few local places to eat nearby; one of the security guards recommended the Nayarit Mexican food place across the track.
I had gone to a local pizza place.
8. Former UP (SP) right of way; a branch used to cross the PVL on a diamond here
9. Former Santa Fe Riverside station; still in great condition (used by a private company) even though it hasn't been used for rail passengers in 45 years...

Date: 06/25/16 10:14
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks
As to photo No. 2 I suspect that is an official of the transit agency, construction company, or someone else associated with the project.
He has a savety vest and no visible camera, however being out there in the heat of the day he bears watching.
He may, in fact, have foamer tendencies and could be headed for a life of ruin.  (Or fun.)

Date: 06/25/16 11:21
Author: StrandedTexan

The guy in photo #2 also seems to be wearing a hard hat. Is this for the guys who think hi-vis vests aren't enough?

Date: 06/25/16 12:25
Author: BobP

Sigh. Now if we could only get some attention to the San Fernando Valley.

Date: 06/25/16 12:46
Author: Out_Of_Service

StrandedTexan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The guy in photo #2 also seems to be wearing a
> hard hat. Is this for the guys who think hi-vis
> vests aren't enough?

any non operating personnel working on the ground on railroad property must wear a hard hat per company rules ... i assume that is the situation here ... although i know a guy who works for Amtrak that when he goes out filming trains he wears his company hard hat and vest ... a far fetched for me but that's just the way he is ...

Date: 06/26/16 10:20
Author: CPRR

BobP Wrote:
> Sigh. Now if we could only get some attention to
> the San Fernando Valley.

They were going to but the Nimby's in northridge shut that down for now. There is hope for double tracking the Valley line from Burbank to Slymar. Now if we could only get the curves through Soledad Cyn straightened out....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/26/16 15:44

railstiesballast Wrote:
> Thanks
> As to photo No. 2
> He has a safety vest and no visible camera,
> He may, in fact, have foamer tendencies and could
> be headed for a life of ruin.  (Or fun.)

Actually, he does have a small handheld camera, maybe a Nikon Coolpix or something of that size.  If you blow up the picture you will see it in his hand.
He had already taken a picture by the time I had mine framed.   And yes, he looked more like an "official" than a railfan.
Separately, there was a railfan named Bruce at the Riverside station, but he is not a TO member.  Bruce was more interested in the lineup of BNSF and UP freights heading through Riverside...

Date: 06/27/16 01:18
Author: DNRY122

San Fernando Valley NIMBYs are notorious.  NIMBY activity is partly to blame for the fact that the "Orange Line" is bus service rather than light rail (or rapid transit cars coming out of the Red Line tunnel and traveling at grade level with pantographs.  Compare that with MY valley (San Gabriel), where locals (with the exception of a few malcontents in South Pasadena) welcomed the Gold Line and where both Democratic and Republican political figures supported the Foothill Extension project.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0838 seconds