Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Passenger Trains > NYC subway green cars

Date: 06/25/16 00:22
NYC subway green cars
Author: pmack

I just returned home from my first trip to The Big Apple and was wondering about something I saw.  We rode the subways and walked a lot around Brooklyn and Manhattan.  At  one stop while waiting for a train, I saw a green subway train roll through the station a couple tracks over.  I looked like riveted construction instead of the current fluted side cars.  It would have been Monday night in lower Manhattan.  So what did I see?  I only saw it once and there was nothing like it in the Hudson Yards a couple days later.

Date: 06/25/16 00:42
Re: NYC subway green cars
Author: R30A

What you saw were the original IND Cars, contract R1-R9. There are a bunch of old trains running for the 40th anniversary of the transit museum this weekend, out of Brighton Beach. 

Date: 06/25/16 03:26
Author: norm1153

Yes, and those R1-R9 cars you saw go back to 1930.  You were lucky to catch a glimpse of them for such a short time.  Did you notice that they sounded quite a bit different?

Date: 06/25/16 05:50
Author: symph1

Green cars in Japan are First Class. I wondered if the NY subway was suddenly offering 1st class. :-)

Date: 06/25/16 05:59
Author: joemvcnj

There is an historic event today involving 2 sets of of historic (brown colored) BMT trains and the (Green colored) IND train at Brighton Beach. One of the BMT ones is about 100 years old. Amazing. I'd go, but it'll be around 88 - 90 degrees, and too hot to play with non-air conditioned trains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/16 06:44 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/25/16 07:38
Author: Mgoldman

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is an historic event today involving 2 sets
> of of historic (brown colored) BMT trains and the
> (Green colored) IND train at Brighton Beach. One
> of the BMT ones is about 100 years old. Amazing.
> I'd go, but it'll be around 88 - 90 degrees, and
> too hot to play with non-air conditioned trains.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4060648
thread above or direct to site:

http://www.nytransitmuseum.org/program/ride-the-rails/all/

/Mitch

Date: 06/25/16 20:33
Author: pmack

Thanks, all for the details.  I did enjoy riding the subway.  My New Yorker brother in law told me, "If you're not the craziest person in your car on the subway, you are doing ok."

Date: 06/26/16 07:54
Author: rbenko

pmack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My New Yorker brother in law told
> me, "If you're not the craziest person in your car
> on the subway, you are doing ok."

Boy that's setting the bar pretty low!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.081 seconds