Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Passenger Trains > Coast Starlight question

Date: 06/27/16 13:11
Coast Starlight question
Author: CPRR

Does the CS still hold in Klamouth Falls for a hour to stay on schedule northbound, and in Sacramento for a hour southbound?

Also, has anyone ever ordered pizza to be delivered to a Amtrak stop? Could you bring it on board?

Date: 06/27/16 14:58
Re: Coast Starlight question
Author: MM171

I have seen the pizza delivery guys with pizza in hand waiting in both Minot & Havre as the Builder pulled in.  With the smart phone now, one just needs to call ahead! In Havre, passengers will "hot foot it" to the IGA approx a block west of the station and come back with their shopping cart full of goodies. (I wonder how many have spent the night waiting for the next day's Builder.)

Personally, I think it's a bit cras. But I've worked hard all my life and still do. My kids are all grown & gone now. The Mrs ain't totally gung ho on train travel so it isn't a problem financially to get a roomette and enjoy the good cuisine & conversation in the diner. I suspect most in coach shutter at the prices in the diner and the limited items at the snack counter so it's understandable.

Plan ahead. Throw in the bag of Cheetos or the "Mike & Ike's." Maybe a soda or two since there's usually ice to be found.

My my last ride on the Starlite saw enuff time to hop off the train, stretch, get a newspaper in the station, and visit a bit before gettin back on board in Klamath Falls.  But schedules change and more recent riders will have better advice no doubt.

But the main thing; enjoy the experience. Be pleasant and others will return the favor.  Over & out.

Date: 06/27/16 15:19
Author: RevRandy

Forget the Starlight with its three levels on onboard food service (Pacific Parlor Car, Diner, Lounge) -- a great idea for poor 91/92 (The Tarnish-Silver Star) however.  I am sure there are many, many places who would deliver dinner to the train in Orlando (92 northbound) and a good brunch there (91 Southbound).  

While I am thinking of food, Orlando, and trains, let me say that the hot dog vendor on the platform is awesome .... and I stop by when I am in Orlando (my mother lives just north of Orlando and at almost 95 she deserves visits on a regular basis) even if trains are not involved.  

Date: 06/27/16 15:27
Author: FrensicPic

Klammath Falls is a crew change and servicing point. If early, a fair amount of time will be spent there. If late, the dwell time will be the minimum needed to service the train, change the crew and get moving again.
If you got food delivered, I don't think bring in onboard would be a problem.
John

Date: 06/27/16 15:36
Author: mundo

Sacramento is also  crew change point.  Northbound you will sure not see any extra terminal time allowed.  Southbound, yes, but not on a daily basis can you depend upon it.l

Taking food on board any Amtrak train is not a problem.  Your problem is finding a facility that is willing to wait for a train and locate you on the platform.  If so, they should make a nice extra charge for the excess time involved.

Date: 06/28/16 07:57
Author: Pioneer2526

I have done this several times when time allows, even when I am in a sleeper, something different to eat. The only rule Amtrak has that any outside food cannot be consumed in the lounge or diner. On one of my trips, I even bought a extra pizza for the crew. Hope your delivery works out.

Date: 06/28/16 20:43
Author: jp1822

I have ridden the Coast Starlight MANY times over the years and never have I heard of an "official hold" north or south at Klamath Falls/Sacramento.........Soon as the crew change and garbage hauled off, the train seems to be off and away. If the train is early, it waits till the scheduled departure time.

Date: 06/28/16 20:55
Author: EtoinShrdlu

He's talking about dwell time, and the answer is yes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds