Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Passenger Trains > Great new train-watching spot in Mohawk Valley (NY)

Date: 06/27/16 14:39
Great new train-watching spot in Mohawk Valley (NY)
Author: RevRandy

At MM 187 Westbound on I-90 the NY Thruway, the Thruway authority has built a wonderful new park .... restrooms, historical information on the Erie Canal system, a Taste of NY shop, picnic tables, and lots of open running-around room (think kids mid-long-car-trip).  It has two fantastic transportation aspects:

Photo 1:  Lock 13 on the NY State Barge Canal, the successor to the Erie Canal

Photo 2:  the intermediate/distant signal (depending on direction) on the CSX former NYCRR Mohawk Division at MP 190

Date: 06/27/16 14:47
Re: Great new train-watching spot in Mohawk Valley (NY)

And so some train action -- a very late (2:20) Lake Shore Limited, 48(26), shows up

(and yes, I did catch the shot of 98(27) this morning in Florida and then this shot of 48(26) in upstate NY this afternoon all in the same day ..... my kind of day! .... with obligations on both ends that required me to fly FLL-ALB,  I figured I had earned some trains at either end.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/16 14:47 by RevRandy.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/27/16 14:56

and for the multi-modal among us, a short film of the lock opening and a pleasure boat going west

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/27/16 16:54
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the overview of the canal facility.  That was a popular train watching locations for years, until a major flood scoured everything. Ripped out the picnic area, parts of highway 5-S, etc.  The facility was closed for several years, as repairs and landscaping took place.

The West Shore railroad used to operate across the highway from the rest area. It's been abandoned for years. Cushing Stone, also across 5-S, used to have an ancient EMC diesel. Perhaps from the 1930s. I believe that's been preserved.

The NY State Thtruway Authority also operates the state barge network. In support of that, it offers annotated nautical charts, with railroads, landmarks, etc.  This section of the canal / railroad is documented here:

Viewer

Date: 06/27/16 17:55
Author: march_hare

Lackawanna, you're thinking of Lock 10, not 13. Milepost 170 or so for Lock 10 vs milepost 190-ish for Lock 13. 

Lock 13 was damaged by the TS Lee flood, Lock 10 was devastated. The river totally bypassed the lock and dam at 10, carved an entirely new River channel.   Not a little channel, either. It's a miracle that the lock structure survived. 

But  luck plays a role. Lock 10 is literally across the road from Calanan Industries (former Cushing Stone ) limestone pit. Once the water went down, a steady stream of off road dump trucks dropped boulders into the flood channel and reconfigured the area around Lock 10. It reopened to the public about a year and a half later. 

Lock 10 is once again a gorgeous train watching spot, mini park included. 13 is an odd duck--it has direct access off the Thruway (I90) but it's a right angle turn and the cops have taken a dim view of peopleother than Canal Corp staff coming in that way. Legal access is from a parking lot off of NY 5S, with a tiny pedestrian underpass,under the Thruway that takes some scouting to locate when the foliage is out. Has that changed now?

Both  locations are excellent train watching spots. 13 is especially nice in fall foliage season. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/16 17:57 by march_hare.

Date: 06/27/16 17:58
Author: march_hare

Also note the new signal relay box is on stilts, several feet higher than previously. Nice to see people learning from experience.....

Date: 06/27/16 18:22
Author: Lackawanna484

That's great info, thanks for sharing it.  I'll definitely make a point of seeing both locations next time I'm up there.

Date: 06/28/16 03:08
Author: CP4743

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 13 is an odd duck--it
> has direct access off the Thruway (I90) but it's a
> right angle turn and the cops have taken a dim
> view of peopleother than Canal Corp staff coming
> in that way. Legal access is from a parking lot
> off of NY 5S, with a tiny pedestrian
> underpass,under the Thruway that takes some
> scouting to locate when the foliage is out. Has
> that changed now?
>
> Both  locations are excellent train watching
> spots. 13 is especially nice in fall foliage
> season. 

YES. This has changed. The pedestrian tunnel under the Thruway has been closed for a few years. As detailed in this post, there is now a rest stop off the Thruway (westbound only) that is right at Lock 13. So the views at Lock 13 are now easily accesible but only if you are driving west on I-90.

John

Date: 06/28/16 06:39

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the overview of the canal facility. 
> That was a popular train watching locations for
> years, until a major flood scoured everything.
> Ripped out the picnic area, parts of highway 5-S,
> etc.  The facility was closed for several years,
> as repairs and landscaping took place.
>
This is NOT at the same location but further west - the old rest area (as opposed to a service area) is still there but greatly diminished after the past flooding, and I understand is slated to be closed with the new facility open.

Date: 06/28/16 06:43

The underpass under the Thruway is no longer the main access to Lock 13, but rather the totally new Thruway stop, which has proper deceleration lanes, etc.  
>
> Lock 10 is once again a gorgeous train watching
> spot, mini park included. 13 is an odd duck--it
> has direct access off the Thruway (I90) but it's a
> right angle turn and the cops have taken a dim
> view of peopleother than Canal Corp staff coming
> in that way. Legal access is from a parking lot
> off of NY 5S, with a tiny pedestrian
> underpass,under the Thruway that takes some
> scouting to locate when the foliage is out. Has
> that changed now?
>

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.069 seconds