Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Passenger Trains > #5 with PVs arriving in Emeryville

Date: 06/27/16 18:59
#5 with PVs arriving in Emeryville
Author: WP17

On Sunday locohntr reported that the westbound California Zephyr -- with units 9 and 10 -- had 2 PVs on the tail end.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4061346
I headed to Emeryville to record its arrival today and here are a couple of shots

The PVs are City of Angels and round end obs Royal Street.

1: Train heading into Emeryville
2: Tail end of train as it leaves Emeryville station for the yard.
3: A closeup of Royal Street

Date: 06/28/16 05:57
Re: #5 with PVs arriving in Emeryville
Author: The_Chief_Way

Nice work, WP17 ! I'm glad you were allowed on the platforms.
What, no shot of the SP impostor car ?

Date: 06/28/16 09:41
Author: WP17

Thanks Mr Way for the compliment

see my responses below:

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice work, WP17 ! I'm glad you were allowed on the
> platforms.

This is California -- everything here is open:-)  Actually the platform on the right in my tail end shot is the more used platform for the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin trains and passengers are on it all the time.

> What, no shot of the SP impostor car ?
I did in fact get a decent shot of the City of Angels but I know nothing of its heritage. From your comment I'm guessing it was not an SP car. Can you elaborate on its history?

WP17

Date: 06/28/16 09:46
Author: The_Chief_Way

Well, its an ex-NYC "Stream" series 6 bedroom-lounge. Maybe "Top Fuel" or some other T-O member can fill in the details.  Thanks for posting !

Date: 06/28/16 11:45
Sleepers on Ca Zephyr - nice to see three!
Author: jp1822

It's nice to see the CA Zephyr with thee Superliner Sleepers during peak season. I think this has to be the fourth season that they have been running the consist of three sleepers "all the way." Glad Beech Grove was able to get some wreck rebuilds out to allow this.....

I think the Southwest Chief would benefit from operating an all-roomette Superliner Trans-Dorm Lounge. Course I know these are in limited supply. When they were operated on this route - while awaiting additional Superliner II's, they seemed pretty popular. It only operated for one season. 

The Empire Builder could benefit from a [Portland] sleeper during most of the peak season. There were plans to put this in place just before the time-keeping of the Builder began to circle around the toilet around 2011 or so (coinciding with the oil boom in North Dakota). So it didn't gain as much traction in execution as hoped. A Cross Country Cafe was also being considered for the Portland section too. I just hope they were not going to move the Sightseer  to the Seattle section, as one really got to take in the Columbia River Gorge with the Sightseer lounge, as opposed to largely trees in the dense Cascadia Mountain Range and foothills. 

Date: 06/28/16 12:48
Re: Sleepers on Ca Zephyr - nice to see three!
Author: bowtie

What I'd really like to know is why Amtrak would bother puting a tail hose on a round-end observation car that doesn't have a rear doorway or platform to access the hose from...

-Martin

Date: 06/28/16 13:10
Re: Sleepers on Ca Zephyr - nice to see three!
Author: Carondelet

Royal Street has a dump valve inside the door...all the tail hose does is clunk around when you hit a bump.

City of Angels is former NYC Laurel Stream.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0747 seconds