Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Passenger Trains > Advise on Surfliner route

Date: 06/28/16 18:43
Advise on Surfliner route
Author: Winnemucca

I am contemplating a trip from Santa Barbara south to somewhere on the Surfliner route between Santa Ana and San Diego that would be ideal for a romantic beach weekend getaway. It would have to be walking distance to one of the stations (Oceanside? San Clemente? Solana Beach?) 

Any recommendations for an appropriate combination of  Amtrak station and nice, but not expensive lodging and beach walking? Nearby good quality, modestly priced, restaurants would be a plus.

I am not looking for someplace that is full of noisy, partying drunks. That happened to me years ago in Oceanside, but I'm willing to give it another try if things are different now.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 06/28/16 18:51
Re: Advise on Surfliner route
Author: roschmbo

My wife and I have done both Oceanside and San Clemente recently via Metrolink. Both are good. We walked more in Oceanside but if that's not your thing then Uber works too. We don't like the rowdies either. Just stay away from the beach bars.
Phil

Date: 06/28/16 23:28
Author: casco17

It would be a much shorter trip, but there is a shoreline hotel (Crowne Plaza?) walking distance from the Ventura station stop.
Further south, only a few trains stop at San Clemente Pier, and that tends to be a party area.  Small, non-chain motels nearby.
In Oceanside, there's a relatively new Marriott-branded hotel right next to the rail line, with some rooms with balconies facing north along the track (maybe that's TOO close?  it is not a Quiet Zone crossing).
Solana Beach has nearby restaurants; I'm not sure how close the hotels are.
Old Town San Diego might work too, though it's a bit of a walk to the hotels and you are not that close to the oceanfront.

Date: 06/29/16 03:51
Author: symph1

The Del Mar Inn is quite lovely, a very short walk to the beautiful bluffs over the ocean (and the tracks). It's a nice, if tiny bit long, walk along the bluffs to Torrey Pines beach. Unfortunately the trains no longer stop in Del Mar. You'll have to take a cab from Solano Beach.

Date: 06/29/16 09:36
Author: kbmiflyer

I would go to San Clemente Pier as long as you don't want to wonder to far (without Uber), there are plenty of neat hotels and restaurants right there..  Keep an eye on the schedules though as not all Amtrak trains stop there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/16 07:39 by kbmiflyer.

Date: 06/29/16 14:14
Author: korotaj

My wife and I once stayed at a very small hotel practically at the San Clemente stop. Very nice but I am not sure it is still open. As said earlier, study time table carefully as few trains stop.

Date: 06/29/16 18:02
Author: goneon66

here is what i suggest:

- take the surfliner that stops at encinitas in the evening.

- WALK over to the "moonlight beach motel" (check their website for further info) that is across the street on the opposite corner from the encinitas coaster depot.  request a room on the s/end either on the 2nd or 3rd floor which all have balconies that face the ocean.  all rooms have a microwave, refer, and a stove.  oh, and the hotel is about a block from a very nice beach AND on the n/end of the encinitas business district with a lot of restaurants.  you can walk everywhere.  i have enjoyed my stay there numerous times.

- take the surfliner that departs encinitas in the morning back home......... 

Date: 06/29/16 22:00
Author: Winnemucca

Thanks everyone. Anyone else?

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 06/30/16 08:56
Author: johnnyremixx

Can I suggest Ventura.. You can't beat the weather. When it's hot in LA it's usually way cooler in Ventura.  The downtown area had many restaurants and shops to explore. The Mission is there. In August the Fair is going on. Don't the beach is right there..I think everything is walk able in my opinion. Enjoy your trip

Juan Cornejo
Hacienda Heights, CA

Date: 06/30/16 10:15
Author: goneon66

my wife and i used to take amtk from laupt to ventura and stay at that hotel on the beach just s/of the platform (station stop).  we would then walk to see cheap trick at the ventura theater.  good times..........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds