Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Passenger Trains > LSL food

Date: 07/26/16 07:02
LSL food
Author: Trainatic

Well, here is my first meal on the train with no diner. What a sad disappointment. It tasted bad and I couldn't even eat it all and I don't ever waste food being a farmer and doing frequent mission trips to Haiti. Even crew was upset about no diner.
Sure am glad we have some deep dish pizza with us from Chicago
Joe

Date: 07/26/16 07:38
Re: LSL food
Author: DavidP

I steered clear of that thing on yesterday's LSL....went for the french toast instead.  It was edible - think McDonald's or an airline economy class meal - but certainly a step down from the diner-prepared french toast I had Saturday on the CZ.  Same for the lunch time salad - edible, but that's about it.  I think Amtrak would be better off if they didn't try to replicate the full diner menu in the Amfleet II diner-lites, but rather went to the type of prepared tray meals served in Acela First class or by airlines in international Business Class.  These are of generally better quality.

Dave

Date: 07/26/16 08:04
Author: P

Doesn't look too bad.  Had this on the Cardinal and thought it was ok.

Nothing 'first class' about it, but better than many breakfast meals that I have when I am not onAmtrak.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 04:51 by P.

Date: 07/26/16 08:31
Author: Trainatic

Saddest part was the diet Pepsi was the highlight. Will try to post lunch pic. Hope it will taste better
Joe

Date: 07/26/16 09:24
Author: ATSF3751

Looks like a heart attack on a plate(s).  Still, looks like Amtrak is trying to make an effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/16 09:25 by ATSF3751.

Date: 07/26/16 15:40
Author: dcfbalcoS1

LOL,  I always thought that was a statement that meant it was a total loss from the beginning. " 'Trying' to make an 'effort' ."  Seems lacking in all ways when a company does that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/16 15:41 by dcfbalcoS1.

Date: 07/26/16 16:18
Author: Genesis803

I had that breakfast on the City of New Orleans last month. It was terrible! It's basically one of those frozen omelette meals you can buy at the store. 

Date: 07/26/16 20:53
Author: davew833

Looks like the "big breakfast" from McDonalds. Probably 3x the price though.

Date: 07/27/16 04:58
Author: mbrotzman

Meh, the LSL was ruined when they slapped the baggage car on the rear.

Date: 07/27/16 05:56
Author: ts1457

Trainatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, here is my first meal on the train with no
> diner. What a sad disappointment. It tasted bad
> and I couldn't even eat it all and I don't ever
> waste food being a farmer and doing frequent
> mission trips to Haiti. Even crew was upset about
> no diner.
> Sure am glad we have some deep dish pizza with us
> from Chicago
> Joe

Is this all prepared ahead of time and then microwaved? The egg with what looks like cheese is enough to kill any appetite. Once cheese cools down the first time, it is never the same. Come to think of it, the same applies to eggs. I could probably live with the hash browns and sausage, but I have doubts about the bacon and even the bread (Engllish muffin?).

I agree with another poster who says that Amtrak should just serve something different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 05:57 by ts1457.

Date: 07/27/16 07:48
Author: BRAtkinson

That cheese omelette looks far more tasty than the one I used a free upgrade coupon to 'enjoy'(?)  in First Class on the Acela last week!  Those potatos look and probably taste better, too!

Date: 07/27/16 08:05
Author: teebone

Amtrak have to get the diner situation sorted out very quickly.  If word gets out about how lousy the food is, overnight ridership will slowly but surely dry up, and there will be noone left to buy the gas-station microwave food they're trying to pass off.

Date: 07/28/16 09:35
Author: chuchubob

I had the cheese "omelet" on the eastbound Cardinal yesterday.  It was awful.  The two sausage patties, though, were fine and were bigger than the patties that I got with French toast on the Capitol and Zephyr trains 5 and 6.  Lunch and dinner on the Cardinal were fine.

photos at Charlottesville
1. cafe car
2. business class

Date: 07/28/16 11:21
Author: Lackawanna484

The pictures are very descriptive, thank you

Date: 07/29/16 07:41
Business Class
Author: jp1822

No this is not descriptive, but rather a little confusing.

Car 2800 is the Amfleet II Diner Lite Car that has all food service concentrated here right?
Car 4XXX that says "Food Service" is actually the business class car right - half business class and half table car? Was there any food service operation ocurring in this car?

Will the Amtrak conductors let you use the tables in the business class car? Remember some of these food service cars had 2-1 or 2-2 seating on both side of the food service counter in the middle, but Amtrak wanted everything "standardized" so they created half with the tables and half with the 2-1 seating. Don't get me wrong I think they are GREAT cars and definitely command that premium since they are 2-1 [leather] seating. On the Vermonter and Empire Corridor trains where most of these cars can be found, they are my FIRST choice in trying to secure.

Not sure what the other single level LD trains are operating with in terms of business class cars. Most are likely Amfleet II coach cars with a few extra amenities when Amtrak could have commanded an even more premium price - especially the Crescent - if the Amfleet II business class was a 2-1 [leather] seating arrangement with some tables. Amtrak misses the mark by not putting tables in the business class cars. Course they have no money to do the overhauls, so it's a mute point.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0726 seconds