Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Passenger Trains > Hoosier State trip this week

Date: 07/27/16 05:09
Hoosier State trip this week
Author: P

I'll be in business class with my family on 851 on Friday and after waking up at an unattractive hour to catch a 6am departure, we are looking forward to breakfast on the train.   

I understand it is a freshly prepared breakfast, but was wondering if anyone has any additional insight into the experience.   I look forward to riding this train for the first time.  It is the beginning of a trip that will take us all the way to Portland, OR on #7 and we are most definitely looking forward to that trip segment as well.  

Date: 07/27/16 07:23
Re: Hoosier State trip this week
Author: wheelnrail

Breakfast is top notch, far superior than Amtrak. Basically it went like this. I sat down in any seat that had a white table cloth, our car host/server gave me the menu of items to order from. You pick 1 main entree, but you can order whatever you want in that entree. For example, I ordered an omelette, with cheese, peppers, sausage, mushrooms and something else. Yes, you can customize the omelette. Just ask what ingredients they have on hand, and order what you want. On the side I had hash browns, sausage links, toast, and OJ.

It was so good. Also, don't forget to tip your car host/server at the end of your trip.

​Enjoy it, not much scenery to talk about but a good trip nonetheless!

Date: 07/27/16 07:33
Author: teebone

looking forward to doing this trip ourselves someday.  really neat looking train and onboard service (good food) does make a big, big difference.

Date: 07/27/16 08:17
Author: P

wheelnrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> ​Enjoy it, not much scenery to talk about but a
> good trip nonetheless!

​Just curious  -- Is the breakfast available to all passengers or is it unique to Business Class?  If I am in Business Class, is the breakfast included or is it an additional charge?

​Also, what's the deal with the seating?  Do we get assigned dome seats or is the dome additional first-come seats such as in the lounge car on the Superliner trains?   Are the seats in the dome for the exclusive use of Business Class passengers or is it open to all?

Date: 07/27/16 10:21
Author: wheelnrail

Breakfast is open to everyone on the train. Business Class enjoys it on the upper level, and is included with your ticket. Coach passengers eat on the bottom level and pay afterwards.

Seating in the dome is first come, first served, like in the Sightseer. I would wait as close as possible to the entrance to the upper level at Indianapolis Union Station so once they call to board, you all can get the best seat possible. Also the dome is only available to business class passengers. If you're in coach and just want a picture or two, it's fine, but then they'll ask you to leave.

Date: 07/27/16 10:50
Author: reindeerflame

Expect about 45 passengers to be on board, perhaps a few more.

Date: 07/27/16 18:23
Author: eee

On 851 Friday July 22 we boarded 143 passengers, 79 at Indianapolis
On 851 Friday July 15 we boarded 150 passengers, 104 at Indianapolis

As info....

reindeerflame Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Expect about 45 passengers to be on board, perhaps
> a few more.

Date: 07/29/16 07:25
Author: eee

Boarded 93 passengers on 851 this morning, 80 coach and 13 business....

Hope you're having a good trip!

Date: 07/29/16 19:32
Author: jp1822

They seem like pretty good numbers to me compared to some Amtrak routes over same mileage but go much faster. One would clearly think the Hoosier State is at a disadvantage with the miles it nees to travel with the freight interference AND the overall slower speeds.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds