Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Capitol Limited - July 1994

Date: 08/24/16 09:57
Amtrak Capitol Limited - July 1994
Author: RFandPFan

Amtrak #29 at Point of Rocks, Maryland with prototype Viewliner Diner.  July 28th, 1994.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/24/16 10:11
Re: Amtrak Capitol Limited - July 1994
Author: stuporchief

Thanks for the ride on your time machine.

22 years and Amtrak still can't move the Viewliner Diner from prototype to reality.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/16 11:46 by stuporchief.

Date: 08/24/16 16:19
Author: ProAmtrak

Sad because that diner looked great, and I miss how Amtrak was back then too, they were doin' well!

Date: 08/24/16 19:21
Author: NYC4096

I used to enjoy hiding out in that dome car. 

One winter night in 1993 we left Chicago in a blizzard.  O'Hare was socked in and the train was full.  The coaches were cold, wouldn't warm up, and the vestibules were full of snow.  I gladly gave my coach seat to another person at South Bend, went upstairs in the dome where the heater was working perfectly and fell asleep.  The next morning when we arrived in DC we learned that most of the switches from Chicago to Sandusky were frozen.  Fortunately, I continued on to Florida on 97!

Date: 08/25/16 17:39
Author: jp1822

How many consists were required to operate the Capitol Limited in 1994?

Did each consist have a dome? Obviously only one consist got "blessed" with the prototype Diner. 

But considering all, this is a pretty healthy consist for the Capitol Limited. Three to four coaches, dome (did this have assigned coach seating on the lower level?), two 10-6 sleepers, Heritage Lounge in front of the Diner. The Capitol and Broadway must have been operating as two separate consists.  

And would the Capitol Limited been going from Pittsburgh to Cleveland via Alliance to eventually be on the water level route?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds