Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Passenger Trains > WMATA -- Two Punch Drunk Fighters?

Date: 08/24/16 14:32
WMATA -- Two Punch Drunk Fighters?
Author: hazegray

Date: 08/24/16 19:40
Re: WMATA -- Two Punch Drunk Fighters?
Author: wa4umr

I was in DC last summer and rode Metro probably 10 or 12 times.  Knowing the problems they had been having, I wasn't afraid to ride it but it was something that was constantly on my mind.  When complacency is accepted, and that seems to be the situation, then it trickles down to the people that actually do the nuts and bolts, hands on work, and regardless of what the managers sign off on, if the mechanics don't do the work, it becomes dangerous.  If the managers don't care, the craft people won't care either.  It's an environment that isn't going to fix itself.  It's an environment that is contagious.

John

Date: 08/25/16 05:06
Author: Lackawanna484

I understand that the WMATA unions have begun to see challenges to leadership. The old union, the old lDC Metro eadership, and the old Board were closely linked to the DC elites.

People died on the tracks and nothing happened, that's changed / changing.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/16 05:53 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 08/25/16 13:31
Author: PRR1361

The toxic mixture that is at the root of WMATA"s problems are-----dare I say it?  Affirmative action hiring and promotion (forget experience and qualifications), and public employee unions ("that's not my job"; or "my supervisor never checked on my every action, so it's his fault".)
The second excuse is the union's argument in the current issue.

Date: 08/26/16 04:20
Author: Dcmcrider

It's a little more than that. It appears supervisors actively encouraged production of falsified records, with pre-filled forms and so forth.

From reading this and other accounts, the Operations Center is rotten to the core. That place needs to be cleaned out. It's no wonder the system can't be properly maintained, if employees out in the field are treated with contempt and not allowed to do their jobs properly.

PRR1361 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The toxic mixture that is at the root of WMATA"s
> problems are-----dare I say it?  Affirmative
> action hiring and promotion (forget experience and
> qualifications), and public employee unions
> ("that's not my job"; or "my supervisor never
> checked on my every action, so it's his fault".)
> The second excuse is the union's argument in the
> current issue.
>  

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 08/26/16 04:55
Author: Lackawanna484

Most organizations benefit from a steady infusion of new ideas and a pruning of dead or rotting wood.

Accountability, too

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds