Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Passenger Trains > SDPF40 and baggage car removal at Kansas City?

Date: 08/26/16 15:57
SDPF40 and baggage car removal at Kansas City?
Author: DFWJIM

Hi all,

Back in December of 1977 I took Amtrak #4 from Los Angeles to Chicago right after Christmas so the train ran long with 3 SDPF40s as power, two baggage cars and a long line of passenger cars. During the very early morning stop in Kansas City I exited the train and watched as the last SDPF40 and the baggage car immediately behind it were removed from the train and set aside on a spur track. Back in the day was this a daily occurrence on #4 and if so would the engine and baggage car go back to LA on #3 or would they be used for the train that went to St.Louis (can't recall the number or the name). Can't recall whether or not any passenger cars were removed in Kansas City...

Thanks for your responses.

Date: 08/26/16 16:21
Re: SDPF40 and baggage car removal at Kansas City?
Author: BuddPullman

There was a brief period in the late 70's when the Southwest Chief was combined with the Lone Star between Kansas City and Chicago, It was shortlived idea as trains were freezing up at KC while trains were off steam while broken apart.  Perhaps it was during this period you saw a loco set out or possibly the baggage car was enroute to Indianapolis and Beech Grove Shops in Indianapolis? It may have been added to the back of the National Limited from KC. Typically SDP40Fs were not a set out during the years when I worked at Kansas City Union Station in the 1970s. 

Date: 08/27/16 08:21
Author: RailThunder

The SDP40F and Baggage (with Los Angeles to New York Mail) was set out at KC from #4.  The SDP Power/Baggage set would then spot the baggage car on the front of the National Limited from Kansas City to New York.  Going west the process was reversed.  In event of a late National Limited into KC the SDP would still be added to westbound #3 as Raton Pass required three SDPs tonnage wise.  

Date: 08/27/16 12:02
Author: jaybest

On a summer 1978 trip on #3 from Chicago to LA, a third SDP40F was added at LaJunta, CO.  I remember walking up Raton and Glorietta passes effortlessly.  Many hours were spent on that trip at the open Dutch doors at 90 mph.  The crews never said a word.  

Date: 08/27/16 12:25
Author: amtrakbill

There was also a through sleeper on 4 that was transferred to train 30 the National limited

The sleeper was reserved as 4-30 in Amtraks reservation system

Going west it was 3-31

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/27/16 13:01
Author: mundo

Also a coach.  Started out using 44 seat ex UP coaches, obtained from Bill Kratville.

I used this train several times from Los Angeles, and it was well received.

Date: 08/27/16 17:33
Author: ProAmtrak

That had to be an intersting operation, bet simple too, but what would've happened if Amtrak didn't eleminate those 6 trains back in 79, I bet with the HEP routine it would've been very interesting!

Date: 08/28/16 08:57
Author: march_hare

On my grand list of things I wish Amtrak could do, but know that they can't, a restored transcontinental sleeping car, bypassing Chicago, would be my favorite. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds