Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Passenger Trains > Business class on Coast Starlight

Date: 08/29/16 20:53
Business class on Coast Starlight
Author: Gene_CA

Do business class class reservations include specific seats?  Is there upper and lower level seating?

Date: 08/29/16 21:15
Re: Business class on Coast Starlight
Author: DevalDragon

I've heard it is only in the lower level of one coach. I don't think the seats are specifically assigned.

More info from Amtrak: https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/717/203/ATK-15-032%20Amtrak%20Coast%20Starlight%20Business%20Class%20Pilot%20Revised.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/16 21:16 by DevalDragon.

Date: 08/29/16 21:16
Author: SilverView

My experience last February was specific seat was assigned when I checked in at the First class lounge. I found this class of service wass great. The Pacific Parlor Car was not operated which was a big disappointment. I spend  most of my time in th Sightseer lounge Oxnard to San Luis Obispo, my destination for first half of my CA visit.  A few days later I continued north and spent more time in business class seat. Quiet, restful. It was a great alternative to paying high room charges in sleeper.
Silver View Mike

Date: 08/29/16 21:58
Author: BoilingMan

I rode 14 yesterday (SBA-DAV). The Biz Class is now an entire car placed between the Diner & Cafe/Lounge. The seats were all a tan leather. The car was not quite 1/2 full.
SR

I'm headed back down on 11 Thursday (OKJ-SBA). I'll get a photo of the interior if anyone's interested.

Date: 08/29/16 22:29
Author: cchan006

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rode 14 yesterday (SBA-DAV). The Biz Class is
> now an entire car placed between the Diner &
> Cafe/Lounge. The seats were all a tan leather.
> The car was not quite 1/2 full.
> SR
>
> I'm headed back down on 11 Thursday (OKJ-SBA).
> I'll get a photo of the interior if anyone's
> interested.

I rode #14 on Saturday between Vancouver, WA and Seattle. Same business car placement on my train, but the seats were not tan leather, so it's possible this is an ongoing renovation?

I chose #14 (only a few minutes late) over the Cascades, because of the dining service. I've ridden the Cascades before, so didn't need to do it again. Had Pork Shanks over BBQ sauce. Many people in the dining car enjoyed the dish. Anyway, I sat in coach.

Date: 08/29/16 22:40

I hadn't seen a Biz car with those seats before- I suspect that as the concept is so new, the cars are being modified as more investment $$ are bring spent and we're seeing the results of a work in progress.
I won't get the same equipment set on Thur, so I might not catch a leather-seated car.
SR

Date: 08/30/16 00:04
Author: stash

First Biz Class ride on 14 was the lower part of a coach.
Second Biz Class ride on 14 was an entire coach. So it's more popular.
Plus you can wait in the Metro Lounge at LA and participate in the wine tasting event. Outside of the wine tasting, no admittance to the Pacific Parlour Car.
I like it.

Date: 08/30/16 11:04
Author: Gene_CA

Sounds like it is still a bit iffy to get upper level in business class on the starlight.  Thanks for all the info.

Date: 08/30/16 11:26

Gene_CA Wrote:
> Sounds like it is still a bit iffy to get upper
> level in business class on the starlight.  Thanks
> for all the info.

No, no, not at all.  The only iffy part is whether or not you'll get the leather seating- something that's being done now.  I suspect all the Biz Class cars will have the seats soon.
SR

Date: 08/30/16 12:12
Author: NYC4096

BoilingMan Wrote:
 > I suspect all the Biz Class cars will have the seats soon.

BoilingMan: Any pictures would be appreciated...Thank you for the heads-up.
Can't wait to ride 11 and 14 again, with my better half this time 

Date: 08/30/16 14:56

Okie
Doke
We'll see if we get one w the new seats...
SR

Date: 08/30/16 15:14
Author: mundo

Leather seats    UG!  No thank for more then a couple of hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/16 15:16 by mundo.

Date: 08/30/16 21:01
Author: Waybiller

Riding SLO to San Jose on Sept. 20th, so will give a report then and try and include photos.

Date: 09/01/16 11:34

NYC4096 Wrote:
> BoilingMan Wrote:
>  > I suspect all the Biz Class cars will have the
> seats soon.
>
> BoilingMan: Any pictures would be
> appreciated...Thank you for the heads-up.
> Can't wait to ride 11 and 14 again, with my better
> half this time 

I'm aboard 11(31) and the Biz Car has the standard blue cloth seats. So no photos necessary.
Car looks to be about 1/3 full.
SR

Date: 09/01/16 19:31
Author: jp1822

NYC4096 Wrote:
> BoilingMan Wrote:
>  > I suspect all the Biz Class cars will have the
> seats soon.
>
> BoilingMan: Any pictures would be
> appreciated...Thank you for the heads-up.
> Can't wait to ride 11 and 14 again, with my better
> half this time 

Hopefully Amtrak sees the value into ensuring that the long distance business class should be different and distinct than the coach cars with just "cloth" seats. Leather seats are considered more "classy." Likewise, it would be nice if some tables were interspersed throughout the business class car - used or not used. VIA has some tables so they can be put up and aken down...............

Date: 09/19/16 18:03
Author: Waybiller

On from SLO to SJC today.  Standard blue seats, about 2/3 full (I'd estimate).  Seats assigned by car attendant when boarding (at least when I boarded at SLO).  Free bottle of water, wifi, and $6 voucher for food/bev.  They do go through this car before the lounge and other coaches for meal reservations, so that's nice.  Also we're allowed to go to Parlor car to buy things, but can't sit unless they're doing the wine tasting.

Overall, it would probably make me more likely to take 11/14 for various short trips.  I usually avoid it in favor of the Cascades, but now might be slightly more open to it.  I may try it next week from Seattle to Albany.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds