Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Goes the Extra Mile

Date: 09/26/16 12:13
Amtrak Goes the Extra Mile
Author: bandob

I had an excellent trip leaving Orlando 9/24 on the Silver Meteor. My Roomette was clean and comfortable. The train staff all were helpful and pleasant, especially in the diner where we really felt welcome. My hamburger and Steak were well-prepared and tasty. That night  I slept well.

But, panic struck me when I got home and unpacked Sunday morning, 9/25. My hearing aid: Not here. I knew it must be on the shelf in the roomette. I had visions of it being swept away with the linen, to disappear into some great washing machine. But, I had to try, so I called 1800-USA-RAIL. Receptionist listened to my tale of woe, and was most helpful. After a brief wait, she returned to tell me the train was between Philadelphia and Trenton,. She told  me she'd called Trenton (next stop,) and they would search for it and send back on 97. I was to go to meet 97 later in Baltimore and the conductor would have it for me, if they found it.

But, in early afternoon, the conductor from 98 called. He said it had already been found and would be at Customer Service in Baltimore Station. And it was, well-packed and well-protected.

Thanks to all for going the extra mile! Amtrak employees are just great!

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/16 12:25 by bandob.

Date: 09/26/16 12:31
Re: Amtrak Goes the Extra Mile
Author: P

Wow.  Good story!

I can only imagine the things left on board the train.  I wonder how much of it goes into a lost & found vs. tossed in the trash.

I left a pair of sandals in my sleeper after a trip to the beach.  THey were shot, so I didnt need them anymore, but the trash can wasn't big enough to accommodate my sandals so I just left them on the floor.   In retrospect, I hope I didn't cause anyone any angst about a passenger leaving behind his footwear.  

Date: 09/26/16 13:30
Author: wa4umr

It's great to hear stories like this.  If you look at some of the threads over the past few days, there are several not so pleasant stories going around.  We are too quick to complain and often too slow to complement.  Some of the complaints are deserving.  Some people really don't need to be in a customer interface position but there are some that should be put on a pedistal.  

I was on a very late Empire Builder several years ago.  Our coach attendant was the greatest.  The dining car crew was superior.  I wrote a letter to Boardman's ooffice commending them by name.  I hope they got some recongition.   Since we were so late, Amtrak arranged for a free dinner for everyone.  The dining crew had been so great that just about everyone gave them a tip.

John

Date: 09/26/16 19:42
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Maybe. If you left your nasty sandels in the rooms trash basket that is crude. There are other trash baskets or if none you should have taken them OFF the train.

Date: 09/26/16 20:58

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>       Maybe. If you left your nasty sandels
> in the rooms trash basket that is crude. There are
> other trash baskets or if none you should have
> taken them OFF the train.

​I wasn't going to respond to this, but what the heck.......    I just cannot figure out the logic where it is reasonable to think that throwing your 'trash' in the trash can is crude??   After that, you suggest that I take my trash to another, more acceptable trash receptacle.  Perhaps I could have taken them to the dumpster at my destination.    While it may have been nice of me to do so, I assume that they pay car cleaners to clean up the rooms after the passengers leave.  There are a lot of crude things you can do to a roommette, but I don't think leaving your sandals for the car cleaners is something that can be defined as crude.  Also, I never said they were nasty, they were simply broken. 

Date: 09/27/16 06:38
Author: Lackawanna484

I've been in the AutoTrain parking lot waiting for my car when a Found It announcement is made.

The sleeping car teams make a last minute walk through, as do the coach attendants.

Usually in the context of Casey Jones party from car 5346, we have a left behind at the ticket counter.

That's a fine practice..

Posted from Android

Date: 09/27/16 13:38
Author: 2839Canadian

Hearing aids are expensive, about $3,000 for some of them.

Date: 09/28/16 09:48
Author: jst3751

P Wrote:
> dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >       Maybe. If you left your nasty
> sandels
> > in the rooms trash basket that is crude. There
> are
> > other trash baskets or if none you should have
> > taken them OFF the train.
>
> ​I wasn't going to respond to this, but what the
> heck.......    I just cannot figure out the
> logic where it is reasonable to think that
> throwing your 'trash' in the trash can is
> crude??   After that, you suggest that I take my
> trash to another, more acceptable trash
> receptacle.  Perhaps I could have taken them to
> the dumpster at my destination.    While it may
> have been nice of me to do so, I assume that they
> pay car cleaners to clean up the rooms after the
> passengers leave.  There are a lot of crude
> things you can do to a roommette, but I don't
> think leaving your sandals for the car cleaners is
> something that can be defined as crude.  Also, I
> never said they were nasty, they were simply
> broken. 

Boy, what an entitlement attitude that you have.
1) Leaving "trash" behind for the crew to deal with is representative of a ego attitude, saying you are better than the crew. Shame on you.
2) Most people would consider sandals that were "shot" and to be thrown away to be "nasty" Do you leave your used underwear around as well? In any case, leaving behind discarded used worn out clothing and shoes for some one else to deal with is absolutely crude and rude.

Date: 09/28/16 10:48

jst3751 Wrote:
> Boy, what an entitlement attitude that you have.
> 1) Leaving "trash" behind for the crew to deal
> with is representative of a ego attitude, saying
> you are better than the crew. Shame on you.
> 2) Most people would consider sandals that were
> "shot" and to be thrown away to be "nasty" Do you
> leave your used underwear around as well? In any
> case, leaving behind discarded used worn out
> clothing and shoes for some one else to deal with
> is absolutely crude and rude.

LOL!      Everyone take note - Some people think we now have to carry our trash off Amtrak trains.  LOL!

Date: 09/28/16 11:29
Author: Lackawanna484

On one of my recent AutoTrain trips, there was an announcement to "place all trash etc in the bags provided in your roomette" prior to leaving the train. 

Used linens had been gathered on the side opposite the exit doorway, along with bags of trash from the common areas and restrooms.  The attendants had already set up many of the occupied rooms for their next trip

Date: 09/28/16 11:54
Author: jst3751

P Wrote:
> jst3751 Wrote:
> > Boy, what an entitlement attitude that you
> have.
> > 1) Leaving "trash" behind for the crew to deal
> > with is representative of a ego attitude,
> saying
> > you are better than the crew. Shame on you.
> > 2) Most people would consider sandals that were
> > "shot" and to be thrown away to be "nasty" Do
> you
> > leave your used underwear around as well? In
> any
> > case, leaving behind discarded used worn out
> > clothing and shoes for some one else to deal
> with
> > is absolutely crude and rude.
>
> LOL!      Everyone take note - Some people
> think we now have to carry our trash off Amtrak
> trains.  LOL!

Trash belongs in a trash recepticle. Not left lying around forcing other people to clean up after you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds