Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Passenger Trains > Sounder cars to Cal Train

Date: 09/27/16 16:15
Sounder cars to Cal Train
Author: lamta_jay

I moved to the Seattle area in 2002. I used to pick up my wife after work
​in Downtown Seattle when her office was at Broad and Second.
​One day I was on Holgate Ave. and noticed  an unusual paint scheme
on one of the cars in the yard so I stopped my car and walked over
​to where the train car was spotted and saw it said Cal Train (picture attached)

My Question is , were these cars sold to Cal Train or leased to Cal Train ?

​Today in 2016 Sound Transit could sure use the cars back !!!!

Anybody know, please let me know

​Jay

Date: 09/27/16 16:42
Re: Sounder cars to Cal Train
Author: railcow

As I recall, Sound Transit leased a number of the cars to Cal Train for a few years until ST was ready to run more trains - all the cars came back several years ago.  Hopefully someone else has more of the details and can extend this info (or correct me).

Date: 09/27/16 17:18
Author: jimB

Caltrain has bought cars from the Metrolink used car lot (Cal Worthington?), and may be acquiring some used power as well, so they aren't likely to be selling or leasing out cars for now. They need to scrape by until they buy EMU's when they electrify. which will take a while.

Jim B

Date: 09/27/16 23:23
Author: Lairport

I believe the Sounder Cars that went to Caltrain, stayed there and were replaced by newer cars that Caltrain had buy from Bomb. for Sound Transit.
That ws how it was explained by ST Rep. many years ago at an All Aboad Washington meeting. It was more of a swap.
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/transportation/article/Sound-Transit-leases-new-cars-to-Caltrain-1062338.php
ST also leased cars to VRE about that time and I think they all came back to ST.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds