Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Passenger Trains > My idea on tipping

Date: 10/20/16 12:39
My idea on tipping
Author: retcsxcfm

I will be leaving on 10-22 RT from Lakeland,Fl. to San Antonio,Tx.Returning
Oct 30.Via DC,CHI,SAS.Trains 98,29,21 going.Trains 422,48 Cleveland layover
I went to the credit union and got a stack of five dollar bills.I will give them out
according to service.No service no money.I will start by giving five dollars and
increase as neccessary.Choose your own method.I just think it is easier to
do it that way.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 10/20/16 12:45
Re: My idea on tipping
Author: joemvcnj

So it is pass/fail $5 or nothing ?"

Date: 10/20/16 12:57
Author: jst3751

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So it is pass/fail $5 or nothing ?"

New glasses on order? Try rereading his post.

Date: 10/20/16 13:13
Author: Auburn_Ed

Up here in Washington State, the minimum wage will soon be $15.00 an hour.  I'm giving up tipping, times have changed.  When a worker at Mickey D's makes more than I do (I'm retired), it becomes an out-dated practice.  Think about it!  In addition, restaurants here are now INCLUDING the tip in there bill.  Tipping is dead.

Ed

Date: 10/20/16 13:42
Author: reindeerflame

On my last overnight LDT trip on Train 6 to Denver in September, I ended up providing a tip of $5 to a sleeper attendant who was pleasant, but largely absent, and only did the minimum in terms of service.  I considered this to be a basic, undistinguished level of service worthy of some recognition.

Date: 10/20/16 14:24
Author: Lackawanna484

On Amtrak, I usually leave $20 for the room attendant for good service (which is much of the time), and $10 for the dining crew's good service (which can be hit or miss). I usually take AutoTrain, sleeper, so meals are included.

I don't know how or if Amtrak tracks customer activity and preferences. I doubt they do.  But, it can make a difference.

On OpenTable reservation service, my profile and tipping history etc is visible to any restaurant when I make a reservation.  Whether I blow off reservations, am nasty to the staff, tip well, etc.  Being nice to people, not hassling the staff, etc is often a key to a fine meal.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip, and people will appreciate your tips.

Date: 10/20/16 15:08
Author: jcaestecker

When our family traveled overnight by train in the 60s and 70s, my father would give the attendant a 10 dollar bill at the start of the trip.  And he would ask him to please take good care of us.  Then he would say that there would be another 10 dollars for him at the end if he satisfied my old man.  I can't ever remember my father being disappointed.

-John 

Date: 10/21/16 00:42
Author: DFWJIM

jcaestecker Wrote:
> When our family traveled overnight by train in
> the 60s and 70s, my father would give the
> attendant a 10 dollar bill at the start of the
> trip.  And he would ask him to please take good
> care of us.  Then he would say that there would
> be another 10 dollars for him at the end if he
> satisfied my old man.  I can't ever remember my
> father being disappointed.
>
> -John 

​I don't travel by train but I often do what your father did - tip people up front and then on the back end depending on what kind of service I am using. Personally I really enjoy tipping and helping others out especially when the service is outstanding.

Date: 10/21/16 07:01
Author: nhiwwrr

Auburn_Ed Wrote:
> Up here in Washington State, the minimum wage will
> soon be $15.00 an hour.  I'm giving up tipping,
> times have changed.  When a worker at Mickey D's
> makes more than I do (I'm retired), it becomes an
> out-dated practice.  Think about it!  In
> addition, restaurants here are now INCLUDING the
> tip in there bill.  Tipping is dead.
>
> Ed

And your train of thought, pardon the pun, is exactly WHY restaurants add on tips automatically. There has been a growing trend among patrons of restaurants, that thr price they pay for the food is all they see. They don't see what the server makes, nor do they care. They treat the server as if they are a slave (degrading manner, not service manner) and leave them nothing. If you want someone to wait on your area, you tip them accordingly...and how you treat a server from the start, can make all the difference in how you're treated. I used to be one and made good tips, even off the least suspecting customers.

This raising the minimum wage thing....it will be good for a few years until companies see they can increase their prices on goods to turn a higher profit and $15 will become the new $7.25, figuratively and literally.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/16 07:03 by nhiwwrr.

Date: 10/21/16 07:28

nhiwwrr Wrote:
> Auburn_Ed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Up here in Washington State, the minimum wage
> will
> > soon be $15.00 an hour.  I'm giving up
> tipping,
> > times have changed.  When a worker at Mickey
> D's
> > makes more than I do (I'm retired), it becomes
> an
> > out-dated practice.  Think about it!  In
> > addition, restaurants here are now INCLUDING
> the
> > tip in there bill.  Tipping is dead.
> >
> > Ed
>
> And your train of thought, pardon the pun, is
> exactly WHY restaurants add on tips automatically.
> There has been a growing trend among patrons of
> restaurants, that thr price they pay for the food
> is all they see. They don't see what the server
> makes, nor do they care. They treat the server as
> if they are a slave (degrading manner, not service
> manner) and leave them nothing. If you want
> someone to wait on your area, you tip them
> accordingly...and how you treat a server from the
> start, can make all the difference in how you're
> treated. I used to be one and made good tips, even
> off the least suspecting customers.
>
> This raising the minimum wage thing....it will be
> good for a few years until companies see they can
> increase their prices on goods to turn a higher
> profit and $15 will become the new $7.25,
> figuratively and literally.
>
> Posted from Android

There's actually a real world experiment with this tipping / no tipping model, and the results are being studied.

NY restaurant owner Danny Meyer introduced a no tipping policy for three of his mid-range to high-range restaurants. Tips will not be accepted, food and booze prices went up about 20%.  Waitstaff and kitchen staff are paid a salary of about $19 an hour to start (not much in NY) and a monthly bonus.  You get benefits and a 401k, and a contribution toward medical. This is a big deal in the restaurant business.  And, it didn't matter whether you worked a slow Tuesday or a busy Saturday, you get paid the same.

Kitchen turnover went way down. People loved the deal. Many good waitstaff  have left for places where they could work hard and make a lot more money. Like double and more.  Meyer has halted the expansion of no tipping while he studies how to keep his best people, and avoid keeping poor performers.

Date: 10/21/16 15:53
Author: reindeerflame

People who consume products and services are rightfully focused on, say, enjoying a meal, rather than studying the compensation and other business practices of a business establishment.

For the same reasons, a Walmart shopper has limited interest in learning about the wages of a worker in Bangladesh or Honduras when purchasing a soup ladle or shirt.  Perhaps it would be appropriate to create a duty to inquire about these matters, and to encourage shoppers to send money to a charity active in these countries if the wages are substandard.

Date: 10/21/16 17:15

reindeerflame Wrote:
> People who consume products and services are
> rightfully focused on, say, enjoying a meal,
> rather than studying the compensation and other
> business practices of a business establishment.
>
> For the same reasons, a Walmart shopper has
> limited interest in learning about the wages of a
> worker in Bangladesh or Honduras when purchasing a
> soup ladle or shirt.  Perhaps it would be
> appropriate to create a duty to inquire about
> these matters, and to encourage shoppers to send
> money to a charity active in these countries if
> the wages are substandard.

A leading political figure's "signature line" shirts are made in Indonesia and Bangladesh.  Good shirts, people buy them.  Even at a hundred bucks per shirt...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0814 seconds