Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Passenger Trains > Quantico VA question

Date: 10/22/16 05:53
Quantico VA question
Author: RayH

According to the Amtrak site, the address for this station is 550 Railroad Ave, INSIDE the Marine Base. Is this correct?
The reason for asking is that I will be very nearby and wanted to take pix today.
Is it possible if a civilian? Thanks

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/22/16 06:51
Re: Quantico VA question
Author: csxape7

just tell the guards that "you are going to the town of quantico".    that should be sufficient.

csxape7

Date: 10/22/16 07:05
Author: Lackawanna484

You could also take a VRE train there.  Not sure how the schedule works for an outbound trip.

The station area, small downtown, and the barber shop all appear to be inside an internal fence. At least that's how it appears from the train.

Date: 10/22/16 07:29

csxape7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just tell the guards that "you are going to
> the town of quantico".    that should be
> sufficient.
>
> csxape7
Thanks. Looks like 2 trains meet there in about an hour so will try for it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/22/16 07:30

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could also take a VRE train there.  Not sure
> how the schedule works for an outbound trip.
>
> The station area, small downtown, and the barber
> shop all appear to be inside an internal fence. At
> least that's how it appears from the train.
>
>
>
>  
I don't think VRE has service today

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/22/16 08:25
Author: sptno

Our son just got out of the Navy after 8 years of service and has an apartment just above the Laundromat in downtown Quantico.
Should not be an issue, I agree just tell the guards that you are going to the town of Quantico.
Our son's apartment is less than 1/2 of a  mile from the train depot.  There are some really good restaurants in the town of Quantico that serve a really good lunch.
Also, an interest ting little town.
Have fun.
Also there is a model railroad club of some sort in the depot building.  Don't know when they are open though.

Pat
South Austin,TX

Date: 10/22/16 15:50
Author: knotch8

You'll have to show some form of ID, typically a driver's license, to the guard at the entrance to the base.  There are cameras at the guard booths that film each vehicle entering and departing.  Once inside you're fine, and can drive almost anywhere you want.  I've had a couple of good diner-type meals at the S&G Restaurant, across Potomac Ave from the station.

Date: 10/22/16 19:24

Neat little town! No problems getting in (ID is required), I even went back in the afternoon to shoot a few southbound Amtraks. Just missed the northbound Auto Train but sun angle was terrible anyway. 
Thanks for the helpful replies

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds