Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Passenger Trains > Early morning Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh

Date: 10/24/16 20:07
Early morning Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh
Author: inCHI

The transfer to the Pennsylvanian is a brutal one in Pittsburgh, where you would get woken up at 5 or 5:30, then wait in a pretty miserable waiting room for three hours. On this day the Pennsylvanian had a heritage unit. I've done the transfer several times, but this time Pittsburgh was my destination. When I departed last night, the station agents were extremely helpful and friendly, and 29 west was a bit early. But that is a sad, sad station, as far as facilities go.

Date: 10/24/16 21:58
Re: Early morning Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh
Author: casco17

I made that trip two years ago....the Capitol Limited was running a couple hours late and people were sweating the connection.  They made it, with about 30 minutes' wait.  It may not be much, but it is a connection.  As for comforts - agree, the station is limited.

Date: 10/25/16 01:13
Author: mp51w

A platform cover within a trainshed?

Date: 10/25/16 06:29
Author: Peak45068

I did Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly-ATL last month and it's a tad tight onto the Crescent (60 minutes) in Philly. 

Loco 89 put in a great performance under the wires from Harrisburg however, resulting in time  for a couple of beers in the real ale boozer on Philly station. 

Date: 10/25/16 07:03
Author: joemvcnj

It is a miserable transfer in both directions, and there is absolutely no excuse why it has to be that way. They can run the thru cars.

Date: 10/25/16 17:40
Author: resqjon

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A platform cover within a trainshed?

A part of the trainshed was dismantled when they built the I-579 overpasses over the station (visible in the background over the first Amfleet car).

Jon

Date: 10/25/16 20:00
Author: DJ-12

The Pgh Amtrak station is a disgrace, especially since it sits in the shadow of the beautiful former PRR station which has been converted into luxury apartments. Rather than sitting in the station, next time if time allows, get out and see the city. In the morning, a 9 block walk thru the Strip District (or short cab ride) gets you to Delucas or Pamela's, both top notch breakfast spots. In the evening, there are plenty of good restaurants within a 5 minute walk from the station.

Date: 10/25/16 21:00
Author: jp1822

How long has Amtrak sort of "been in the basement" at Pittsburgh? Is there any areas on the track level that could support a "waiting area" or something better than the Amshack that is downstairs? Who owns the former PA RR station complex.

Date: 10/26/16 05:13
Author: hazegray

Since 1991 at least, when I first visited PGH.  The employees do their best to make it comfortable, as best they can. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/16 05:15 by hazegray.

Date: 10/26/16 11:11
Author: joemvcnj

I think the Greyhound Terminal across the street is nicer.

Date: 10/26/16 20:08
Author: RuleG

Some brief history:

When Amtrak took Penn Central's Pittsburgh service, it used the very large waiting room in the former Pennsylvania Railroad Station.  PC and its successor, Conrail, had offices in the building.  If I recall correctly, in 1978, Conrail moved its offices to Greentree, a western suburb just outside of Pittsburgh located along the main highway to the airport.  At the end of 1979 or some time in 1980, Amtrak vacated the station and used a trailer located along the east side of the station building.  That trailer was a miserable facility. 

IN 1988, the Pennsylvania Railroad station (also known as Union Station) main building opened as The Pennsylvanian residential complex.  There are also some commercial uses such as the office of an architectural firm.

On October 27, 1989, Amtrak moved into a new facility primarily located at street level below the Pennsylvanian.

Spartan?  Yes.  Utilitarian? Yes.  Not worthy of Pittsburgh?  Yes.  Miserable, no I would disagree with that characterization.

For train watching, it's hard to beat the second (track) level.  Norfolk Southern freight trains pass very close to the passenger waiting area providing some in-your face railfanning.

Pittsburgh Mike gives good advice for those transferring between trains - get out of the station and have a good bite to eat.

It's a shame #43 doesn't arrive in Pittsburgh an hour or two earlier, so that transferring riders can have an earlier dinner and then take in a concert, play, musical,  baseball or hockey game or movie.

Date: 10/27/16 18:44
Author: tq-07fan

I agree with RuleG. Pittsburgh may not have a great waiting room and Amtrak station but it is OK enough, better then some, not so good as others. Never made the connection between the two trains but have got on or off the trains there at least a half dozen times since 1996 in both directions. The station itself is in a good location for public transit and connecting to and from intercity buses, which I have done on all those trips mentioned.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds