Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak train #643

Date: 12/02/16 13:40
Amtrak train #643
Author: NS4271

Arriving and departing Lancaster, PA. and is heading to Harrisburg.
12/02/2016

Date: 12/02/16 15:02
Re: Amtrak train #643
Author: hazegray

Believe that cab-car is one of the original Metroliner cars.... note the difference in trucks from the rest of the Amfleets in the consist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/16 15:03 by hazegray.

Date: 12/02/16 19:40
Author: Tominde

Nice shots.  Hard to believe the cab car is pushing 50 years old. 

Date: 12/03/16 07:27
Author: PennPlat

hazegray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Believe that cab-car is one of the original
> Metroliner cars.... note the difference in trucks
> from the rest of the Amfleets in the consist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroliner_(train)

​Attached above is picture of orignal Metroliner.  I rode the innagural trip but only from Baltimore to Philadelphia, I still have the Metroliner Coin given to each rider.
​Also rode innagural Acela, only from Baltimore to BOS and back same day.  Nothing stood in our way that day.

Date: 12/04/16 00:24
Of what Used to Be
Author: jp1822

One can only imagine the great leaders of the PRR turning in their graves after the great PRR Main Line was reduced from four to three and finally two in between the platforms at the Lancaster Station. However, gone is the freight traffic from this portion of the corridor and gone are the "great trains" that raced towards to/from Pittsburgh on their way to various destinations to the Midwest and through cars beyond. Hard to believe that no train with a sleeper car stops at Lancaster any more.   

For what is left, I wish they would put in a station at Paradise, PA - or something outside of Lancaster. Bus tours would gladly pick passengers up their to take them to all the tourist sites and markets. If it is tied into the Strausburg RR somehow - so be it. But put a car rental agency out there, some bus tours that circle around the station, and the distribution of marketing material in the New York City and the Philly area. 

The downtown Lancaster I've always took issue with as it can really be out their for the Amish folk that use it and the tourist market that could be lured to it.

It's great that the Vermonter stops at Burlington/Essex Junction, but the northbound never arrives to make a bus-train connection. And then you have to pay an exhorbonet taxi fare from downtown Burlington out to the train station or even the Airport (to pickup a rental car). I look forward to the Ethan Allen Express extension from Rutland up to to Burlington. This can put everything in walking distance for the town of Burlington. And then there is a bus that goes south to Shelbourne. Burlington would be the last town I'd expect to have a great public transportation system - now largely with buses, but the Champlain Flyer really helped make this complete. My first visit to Burlington - I just used bus and the commuter train, it was great!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds