Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Passenger Trains > Annapolis on #98

Date: 12/05/16 13:34
Annapolis on #98
Author: twropr

Just got a confirmation that the new CAF diner is staffed and serving meals on the NB SILVER METEOR.
Andy

Date: 12/05/16 14:45
Re: Annapolis on #98
Author: Slumbercoach

That sounds like fantastic news.

Date: 12/05/16 14:46
Author: ClubCar

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got a confirmation that the new CAF diner is
> staffed and serving meals on the NB SILVER
> METEOR.
> Andy
​I can't help but think about the fact that the first new diner for Amtrak is called "Annapolis."  This is the Capitol of Maryland where I live, yet there no longer is any rail service to Annapolis, and there has not been any passenger trains there since 1950 when the Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad Company discontinued their interurban passenger service.  The B&A continued to haul freight down into Annapolis until 1967 as the major owner of the railroad did not wish to spend the money needed to repair and upgrade the Severn River Bridge which the railroad needed to enter into Annapolis.  And now here in 2016 Amtrak names a car for this city.  Amazing how things go in a lifetime.  I have attached a photo of an excursion train trip on the former B&A Railroad that was operated back I was told in the late 1950's by the Baltimore Chapter NRHS.  The photographer is unknown.
John

Date: 12/05/16 15:13
Author: RevRandy

wonderful news -- now lets get some more unit out and onto the road. 

Date: 12/05/16 15:44
Author: retcsxcfm

ClubCar Wrote:
> twropr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just got a confirmation that the new CAF diner
> is
> > staffed and serving meals on the NB SILVER
> > METEOR.
> > Andy
> ​I can't help but think about the fact that the
> first new diner for Amtrak is called
> "Annapolis."  This is the Capitol of Maryland
> where I live, yet there no longer is any rail
> service to Annapolis, and there has not been any
> passenger trains there since 1950 when the
> Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad Company
> discontinued their interurban passenger service. 
> The B&A continued to haul freight down into
> Annapolis until 1967 as the major owner of the
> railroad did not wish to spend the money needed to
> repair and upgrade the Severn River Bridge which
> the railroad needed to enter into Annapolis.  And
> now here in 2016 Amtrak names a car for this
> city.  Amazing how things go in a lifetime.  I
> have attached a photo of an excursion train trip
> on the former B&A Railroad that was operated back
> I was told in the late 1950's by the Baltimore
> Chapter NRHS.  The photographer is unknown.
> John

The diners will be named after state capitols.
Should we leave yours off?

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 12/05/16 15:59
Author: CPR_4000

retcsxcfm Wrote:

> The diners will be named after state capitols.

Alphabetically? I wonder if they'll ever have 50 of them.

Date: 12/05/16 16:53
Author: andersonb109

When do the Star and Lateshore get their diners back?

Date: 12/05/16 17:47
Author: joemvcnj

Was there a Heritage diner tagging along also ?

Date: 12/05/16 18:58
State capitals with no Amtrak service....
Author: toledopatch

I wonder how many of these will be represented on new Viewliner diners?

Juneau, AK
Phoenix, AZ (unless you think Maricopa really counts)
Dover, DE
Tallahassee, FL
Honolulu, HI
Boise, ID
Des Moines, IA
Frankfort, KY
Baton Rouge, LA
Augusta, ME
Annapolis, MD
Helena, MT
Carson City, NV
Concord, NH
Bismarck, ND
Columbus, OH
Pierre, SD
Nashville, TN
Madison, WI
Cheyenne, WY

(Giving credit for East Lansing, MI, Lamy, NM, Montpelier Jct., VT, East Olympia, WA)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/16 19:02 by toledopatch.

Date: 12/05/16 19:31
Author: jp1822

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> retcsxcfm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > The diners will be named after state capitols.
>
> Alphabetically? I wonder if they'll ever have 50
> of them.

Only State Capitols EAST of the Mississippi River will be on the name boards of the Viewliner II Diners; only they forgot Trenton and have it notated that Trenton will be a name "reserved for the future." Perhaps reserved for an eventual refurbed HERITAGE diner that will be part of the business fleet! Hah! They already have two former 10-6 sleepers in the "business fleet" yet they still often need to hijack a Viewliner!

I mean how can you not have a "Trenton" - the state capitol of NJ that all but one single level train runs through! There are going to be a lot of trains with the Viewliner II diner that don't even come close to a state capitol (Tallahassee). There is a website with the complete names.  

Regardless, I could really care a less about the names of the diners. I am more interested in seeing the new Viewliner II's out in service. If they can release two more (just TWO) the Lake Shore Limited should be able to get either Viewliner II diners or Heritage diners. There's some spare Heritage Diners out there right now - not many, but enough that if TWO Viewliner II Diners make it out on the road the Lake Shore Limited would be able to get full diner service back. And since is a long train with various markets, it needs. The Lake Shore serves a LONG breakfast westound and LONG lunch eastbound particularly.  

You gotta a much better chance of seeing a Viewliner II on the Lake Shore Limited than the Silver Star for quite some time! Those trains with existing diners are going to get the Viewliner II's first. Then maybe Amtrak will re-examine the experiment with the Silver Star.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/16 19:35 by jp1822.

Date: 12/06/16 01:22
Author: ClubCar

retcsxcfm Wrote:

>
> The diners will be named after state capitols.
> Should we leave yours off?
>
> Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.
​No, I'm glad that they have included my state, Maryland; but I was just commenting about the fact that we used to have a railroad running to our capitol for history for those younger folks who may not know this.  That's my reason for my story.
​You and some others may not be aware of this: This weekend the Army - Navy Football Game will again be held here in Baltimore at M&T Bank where the Ravens play.  Many folks know that this stadium is right next to the CSX main line that comes from the south and west and continues up through a tunnel (Howard Street tunnel) heading northeast to Philadelphia and beyond.  Years ago when this game was to be played in Baltimore the B&O and the B&A railroads would work together using B&O trains that ran down to Annapolis to bring the Navy Midshipmen up to this game here in Baltimore which used to be played at the old ballpark before Memorial Stadium was built.  Some more history.
​If the B&A were only running to Annapolis today.
John

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/16 01:31 by ClubCar.

Date: 12/06/16 06:26
Author: PennPlat

Seems like the Baltimore terminal for the WB&A was located at SWc corner of Howard and Lombard, long gone of course.  I can remember many trips from the terminal by B&A bus.  In the late 50's fare was less than a dollar one way.

Date: 12/06/16 06:45
Author: joemvcnj

< You gotta a much better chance of seeing a Viewliner II on the Lake Shore Limited than the Silver Star for quite some time! Those trains with existing diners are going to get the Viewliner II's first. Then maybe Amtrak will re-examine the experiment with the Silver Star.  >

Don't forget about upgrading the Am-2 Dinettes on the Cardinal. While that means a cut in table space, they already gained some with the Biz_Dinette car. Then Am-2 dinettes can be reassigned to the Adirondack, and would be valued there due to the scenery and larger windows. 

Date: 12/06/16 07:47
Author: SteveThorpe

My wife and I are riding 49 & 48 in January....I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and toes too!)

Date: 12/06/16 13:27
Author: Lackawanna484

Having Juneau AK and Pierre SD is a nice touch

Posted from Android

Date: 12/06/16 14:07
Author: toledopatch

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Having Juneau AK and Pierre SD is a nice touch
>

Since those are west of the Mississippi, they're probably not included.

Date: 12/06/16 19:01
Author: NGotwalt

It has been stated elsewhere that this car will remain in captive service on the Meteor for the immediate future. Estimates for more delivieries is end of January.
Nick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0875 seconds