Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Bustitution question

Date: 12/06/16 09:27
Amtrak Bustitution question
Author: NKP715

Citing the post below re. 48's loco failure at Erie.

If I were boarding at Erie, and upon learning of the
​bus ride, opted not to go,  would Amtrak give a
refund ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/16 09:41 by NKP715.

Date: 12/06/16 09:40
Re: Amtrak Bustitution question
Author: sums007

I don't know.  But if you go to the online Amtrak national timetable, all those details are explained there, I believe.

amtrak.com

Date: 12/06/16 09:42
Author: twropr

A related passenger - is the crew allowed to carry a passenger who wishes to remain aboard the cancelled train rather than get off and take the bus?
Andy

Date: 12/06/16 10:25
Author: BRAtkinson

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Amtrak in any way, past, present or future. 

I would assume (we all know what that means!) that you'd be classed as a no-show by the conductor unless you told him on the platform (at the curb, actually) to scan your ticket.  That way, you wouldn't be considered as a no-show and have the remainder of your ticket cancelled, and no refund.   But, by scanning the ticket, you've effectively 'used' it, thereby not able to get a refund.  Either way, I suspect you'd lose.  If you read the 'terms' of your ticket, nowhere does it state transportation by train...it is only a contract for transportation by whatever means Amtrak chooses.

As far as riding on the 'discontinued' train, that would not be an option for any of a number of reasons, the most obvious is insurance issues.  Also, depending on the duration of not going anywhere, the existing crew would outlaw and the incoming crew (maybe non-Amtrak, eg, host RR) would have no reason to allow non-RR personnel aboard a disabled train.

Date: 12/06/16 10:27
Author: NKP715

Didn't see anything that addressed this situation - -
​Amtrak cancelled train (but not transportation), and
​passenger hasn't boarded yet.  Possibly, different
scenarios for coach vs. sleeper accomodation ?

sums007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know.  But if you go to the online Amtrak
> national timetable, all those details are
> explained there, I believe.
>
> amtrak.com

Date: 12/06/16 10:42
Author: dispr

Just as a note, it is a rarity anymore for a non Amtrak crew to recrew an Amtrak train.  Many if not most freight crews are not qualified on Amtrak equipment.  Freight crews are used as "pilots" when the Amtrak crew is not qualified for whatever reason.

I was on an Amtrak train in the mid 1980's that was cancelled because of HEP failure (no heat or lights in January).  The passengers were bused but the train continued on to Chicago.  Because I knew a member of the crew (at this time, the train crew still worked for the host railroad and not Amtrak), they allowed me to stay on-board.  The Amtrak Chief of OBS objected but was overruled by the Conductor.   It was a cold 3 hour ride and would never be allowed today...

Date: 12/06/16 10:56
Author: GenePoon

Waiver of cancellation penalties applies.  If departure of the train or alternate transportation is two hours late, all penalties are waived.  These passengers waited over five hours for their buses so if anybody wanted to stay in wonderful Erie PA, they could have done so and gotten a full refund of the unused fare.

Date: 12/06/16 11:08
Author: andersonb109

If you are already in route, you are probably stuck. But if it's a bus and you haven't boarded yet, you should be able to choose not to go and get a refund. Or at least the price difference between your room and a coach ticket. Busses don't have bedrooms or for that matter diners or lounges.

Date: 12/06/16 11:17
Author: BoilingMan

In an absolute sense, the bus part of this question is a "red herring". A passenger is free to abandon his/her trip for any reason. ($ penalties may apply) As far as turning back, that would depend on the next train going back (is it reserved? And if so, is there space available?)
Your question assumes the cancled train would deadhead back, but usually it's held for bussed passengers headed that way.
If the trainset WERE deadheading, I seriously doubt you could ride it.
SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/16 11:21 by BoilingMan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds