Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Passenger Trains > Art Lloyd passing

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/06/16 12:14
Art Lloyd passing
Author: mundo

Word received that Art Lloyd passed away Sunday morning.

Further firm plans pending.

Date: 12/06/16 12:51
Re: Art Lloyd passing
Author: daniel3197

Condolences and Rest In Peace Art,  COndolences to your family and friends
I Loved your very STRONG Optimism and belief in a BRIGHT future for passenger Rail.
Amtrak and the WP history is taking a huge Loss with your passing.
YOu will be greatly Missed.
Huge bummer to loose both Gordon Zimmerman and Art LLoyd withing about 3 months in 2016
-----Daniel.

Date: 12/06/16 12:59
Author: GenePoon

I am saddened.  Art was identified so strongly with Amtrak that years after he had retired during the Claytor years, many still thought he was still working.  In a way, he was...for the advancement of railroading and the preservation of its history.  

He was active in the policymaking boards of Caltrain, SamTrans, the San Joaquin committee, and Coast Rail.  Twenty-two years after his retiring from Amtrak, APTA appointed him as Secretary to its Transit Committee.  One could not imagine a person more tireless.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/16 13:12 by GenePoon.

Date: 12/06/16 13:08
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Oh, NO!!  What sad, sad news!   Art was a true
gentleman, and was always cheerful and happy. 
He was a giant in the rail passenger industry, and
did an enormous amount of good for it and for all of
us who love and ride passenger trains in this country.

My deep condolences to all in his family and to his
many, many friends.  What a huge, huge loss.  It is
really very hard to imagine life without him.

Art was a 6th-generation Californian, which is why he
listed himself in the phone book as "Lloyd, Arturo".

Another legend passes into history...... and I ache for
this loss. 

I do not know how he managed to stay so optimistic and
cheerful while working for Amtrak, in the face of all the very
daunting problems Amtrak faced when he was its Western
US PR manger -- but he did.

Art was #24  in seniority out of around 24,000 Amtrak
employees, having joined Amtrak by Day One -- May 1,
1971.  I am certain that much of the successes Amtrak
has had while he was PR chief for the US West can be
credited directly to him.

Art had been in PR for the beloved and famed "California
Zephyr" for much of its existence.  After he left his post with
Amtrak, he was appointed to the Caltrain Joint Powers Board,
as one of the three representatives for San Mateo County.
He did a superb job while there, and only left because of poor
health.

Rest in peace, dear Art -- you are sorely missed by many
You left a beautiful and lasting legacy, and touched many,
many lives in many beautiful ways..

Date: 12/06/16 14:12
Author: weather

Art Llyod was a towering figure in Bay Area railroading and Nationwide with his many years with AMTRAK.  Prior to that, he was face and the voice of Western Pacific.. A man of his stature will not been seen around these parts for many years to come. Art had his fingers and mind in every aspect of Railroading from his early years to his passing.  He was a leading figure in the RLHS, a member of the GGRM Board, Caltrains, Amtrak and the railfan hobby sector.  He ran more excursions than anybody, except for maybe Henry Luna of PLA and as might expect, both were good friends, as well. He was an early supporter of the Amtraks Capitol Corridor and was able to twist enough arms to get it going, including host railroad, SP. He kept a watchful eye on the NWP and SMART in later years.  He was a prolific writer and excelllent photographer.  Art is the man that connects all the dots to during the early days of the RLHS,  Central Coast, Northern California Railroad Club, Cal-Nevada RR club and pioneers like Fred Sindt, Ted Wurm and Gilbert Knees. He leaves an incredible legacy; a giant among man;  his passing leaves a huge void in rail transporttion.  His fingerprints are on everything involving the steel rain and wheels here in Northern California.  s Geen Poon noted, Art was the architect of CALTRAINS.  Here are my photos of the SP Special from 4th and Townsend commemorating the transfer from SP to the JPB.  The firist images show Art with Angelo Figone (at that time, Deputy Gen. Mngr. of Muni) and the late Fred Stindt,  aboard the "Airslie."  The second photo shows SP officials and the final shot is the special getting to leave 4th and Townsend. Text and Photos, by Mike Pechner, Copyright, 2016, "All Rights Reserved."

Date: 12/06/16 14:23
Author: CarolVoss

One helluva  great guy!!  We shared our UCBerkeley alum status and we shared the spotlight on the Huell Howser California Gold program filmed in 1995 about the CZ. Vaya con Dios, Art---
C

PS--Art was the consummate PR pro and I worked in corporate PR back in the 80's so he and I shared many war stories over the years-- :-)

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 12/06/16 14:56
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Sorry to hear of the passing of Art.  He always attended our Southern California Operation Lifesaver meetings in the Los Angeles area.  He had a massive knowledge of railroad operations.  A true giant in the RR business,,  An interesting side note when Art would not fly on any airlines except United Air Lines.  RIP Art...

Date: 12/06/16 15:16
Author: GenePoon

SanJoaquinEngr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to hear of the passing of Art.  He always
> attended our Southern California Operation
> Lifesaver meetings in the Los Angeles area.  He
> had a massive knowledge of railroad operations. 
> A true giant in the RR business,,  An interesting
> side note when Art would not fly on any airlines
> except United Air Lines.  RIP Art...
================================================

I flew with him on American...we just happened to be on the same flight and he spotted me in the boarding area. 

So by the late 1990s he had given up that "United-only" policy!  But I never saw him enjoying himself more than
when on an SF Muni streetcar special, aboard Muni No. 1 on what was then a non-passenger route.

Date: 12/06/16 15:53
Author: CPCoyote

Very sorry to hear of Art's passing. He was a true gentleman and a legend in the Bay Area railroad community. His influence and hard work on behalf on passenger rail will be felt for years to come. Rest in peace Art. You will certainly be missed.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/06/16 16:43
Author: bnsfbob

He was a great guy and tireless passenger rail advocate. His many stories of the CZ on the WP were captivating (I grew up on the CB&Q side of the CZ operation and it was good to hear viewpoints from the other end)

Bob

Date: 12/06/16 17:59
Author: BoilingMan

Yes, Art was a Passenger Service Hero!
In my early days with Amtrak I saw him quite often, and even more so once the Capitol Corridor launched service.  Always fun to see him, always full of enthusiasm, and always made me feel proud of what I was doing (Amtrak LSA).
I last saw Art aboard the Golden State Charter (I think that's what was?) Inside Gateway & Shasta Explorer as we sat on the Keddie Wye waiting for a signal. (I was working Amtrak's former GN dome)   I can't imagine a better last memory of Art- seeing him on his home rail in all his glory!
Good bye, Art.  And God Bless!
SR

Date: 12/06/16 18:05
Author: walstib

I first encountered him in 1977 riding in one of the ex-Southern Pacific dome cars on the Coast Starlight to Los Angeles.

My buddy and I were both high school freshmen and we skipped school for a week to ride Amtrak's 4449 excursion to Portland.

Mr. Lloyd was doing the same thing we were — riding the Starlight to LA and then the Sunset Limited to Phoenix to catch the 4449 the next day.

It was a most enjoyable trip down the coast in a great car with great company. We spent the entire trip in the dome, and so did he.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/06/16 18:28
Author: ShastaDaylight

Although I rarely post on the Passenger Thread, I am very pleased with the photos and tributes to my dear friend Art Lloyd. A mutual friend called me earlier this evening here in Salt Lake City as I was preparing to leave for a transportation research trip to the West Coast, telling me of Art's passing and he has been on my mind ever since. I could not leave town without paying my own respects here on TO..

I first met Art decades ago and he was ALWAYS a consummate gentleman, treating everyone with respect and a genuine friendliness that was very rare at Amtrak (even back in the early days), and in the railroad industry as a whole. Others have shared much about him, but allow me to share a few stories of my own. He was very much a mentor to me during my years at Amtrak, and both before and since. He loved the Western Pacific, and he always teased me since it was my second-favorite railroad after Southern Pacific! He was aboard for the first run of the WP "California Zephyr" east from Oakland Pier on March 20, 1949, he was on the last run of the WP "CZ" east out of Oakland on March 21, 1970, and he was on the first run of the renamed Amtrak "California Zephyr" out of Denver "thru the Rockies and not around them" over the Rio Grande on July 16, 1983. When he retired from Amtrak in 1991 it was a great loss to the company, which would suffer many great losses during the unfortunate years ahead.

On a personal note, I shall miss his friendship, but also his stories, fun dinners with other notable rail enthusiasts such as Bruce Heard, Fred Stindt and Eldon Lucie, Dinners associated with special events at Amtrak, and his remarkable excursions and special trains. He was just about the last of his group of classic rail enthusiasts who gave all of us so much over the last 60-plus years... May his family and friends be comforted at this difficult time, may he always be remembered by those who knew him, and may his good example be an inspiration to younger generations of railfans and rail passenger advocates who benefit from his accomplishments in the rail passenger arena in the years ahead... He was a real railroader and a true gentleman, and it was indeed a privilege to have known him for as long as I did...

With best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas in spite of this loss...

ShastaDaylight

Date: 12/06/16 18:38
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

CarolVoss Wrote:
> One helluva  great guy!!  We shared our UCBerkeley alum status and we shared the spotlight on the Huell Howser California Gold program filmed in 1995 about the CZ. Vaya con Dios, Art---
> C

Here's the show you're referring to:

https://vhost1.chapman.edu/files/videos/2016/09/02/1472851283f5cac-sd.mp4

Art will also be remembered for organizing some fantastic excursions, such as the "Cariboo Specials" that ran on the WP, GN, SP&S, NP, PGE, CN and CP to British Columbia and Alberta.

I had several nice conversations with Art.  He did so much for our industry and hobby.  He was a great man and will be sorely missed.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/16 14:51 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

Date: 12/06/16 18:44
Author: RuleG

Very sorry to read this.

Art Lloyd was a guest speaker at one of my UC Santa Barbara classes.  I enjoyed listening to him and wish I had additional opportunities to meet him.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Date: 12/06/16 19:20
Author: CarolVoss

ShastaDaylight Wrote:
> Although I rarely post on the Passenger Thread, I
> am very pleased with the photos and tributes to my
> dear friend Art Lloyd. A mutual friend called me
> earlier this evening here in Salt Lake City as I
> was preparing to leave for a transportation
> research trip to the West Coast, telling me of
> Art's passing and he has been on my mind ever
> since. I could not leave town without paying my
> own respects here on TO..
>
> I first met Art decades ago and he was ALWAYS a
> consummate gentleman, treating everyone with
> respect and a genuine friendliness that was very
> rare at Amtrak (even back in the early days), and
> in the railroad industry as a whole. Others have
> shared much about him, but allow me to share a few
> stories of my own. He was very much a mentor to me
> during my years at Amtrak, and both before and
> since. He loved the Western Pacific, and he always
> teased me since it was my second-favorite railroad
> after Southern Pacific! He was aboard for the
> first run of the WP "California Zephyr" east from
> Oakland Pier on March 20, 1949, he was on the last
> run of the WP "CZ" east out of Oakland on March
> 21, 1970, and he was on the first run of the
> renamed Amtrak "California Zephyr" out of Denver
> "thru the Rockies and not around them" over the
> Rio Grande on July 16, 1983. When he retired from
> Amtrak in 1991 it was a great loss to the company,
> which would suffer many great losses during the
> unfortunate years ahead.
>
> On a personal note, I shall miss his friendship,
> but also his stories, fun dinners with other
> notable rail enthusiasts such as Bruce Heard, Fred
> Stindt and Eldon Lucie, Dinners associated with
> special events at Amtrak, and his remarkable
> excursions and special trains. He was just about
> the last of his group of classic rail enthusiasts
> who gave all of us so much over the last 60-plus
> years... May his family and friends be comforted
> at this difficult time, may he always be
> remembered by those who knew him, and may his good
> example be an inspiration to younger generations
> of railfans and rail passenger advocates who
> benefit from his accomplishments in the rail
> passenger arena in the years ahead... He was a
> real railroader and a true gentleman, and it was
> indeed a privilege to have known him for as long
> as I did...
>

> With best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas in
> spite of this loss...
>
> ShastaDaylight

on that day we filmed the CZ program, there were 13 people aboard--my mother and Eldon Lucie turned out to be classmates at University High in Berkeley as well as UC Classmates and Art and I were also UC grads.  4 out of 13 pretty good ratio!!
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/16 22:01 by CarolVoss.

Date: 12/06/16 19:59
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Art was also one of the 10 who founded the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association, which now owns and operates the Western Railway Museum.

Date: 12/06/16 21:03
Author: px320

Sad to hear this. RIPArt.

Date: 12/07/16 00:49
Author: Notch16

Art was an influence on a young lad he came to know as YBZ. I would take Santa Fe Train 1 from Fresno up to Richmond, ride the Santa Fe's PD-4104 over the Bay Bridge to the downtown terminal, then hike up to the Clift Hotel to say hi to Art and Bruce Heard at Clift Travel Service, spend the afternoon in The City, then grab Train 2 home again. Art and Bruce both joined Amtrak not long after those junkets.

Art's energy and optimism were like bottled sunshine. In my experience, when hosting rail excursions or social settings, he was always bright, always upbeat, and with a sharp sense of humor. He was a class act wherever he was, and his contributions to the startup of Amtrak are probably too long to enumerate.

Best wishes to all who knew and remember him. He was a source of hope for passenger train lovers during very hopeless times for American passenger trains. No matter that critcism of Amtrak has forever been an open enrollment pastime, it was people like Art and those around him who loved trains and train travel -- knew it inside and out -- who were able from inside Amtrak to help protect and preserve the onboard amenities that continue to mark the classic experience of travel by train.

Thanks for the memories, Arturo. And for the groundwork.

~ BZ

Date: 12/07/16 00:49
Author: railwaybaron

Art was the greatest railroader and railfan of all time! He was one of the very best human beings I have ever met, right up there with my dad. Art gave me my first railroad job thus bailing my wife and I out of a very bleak period. God bless you Art, your reward was the love of everyone one you met. RIP. Does anyone know where and when his memorial service will be held? 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/16 08:53 by railwaybaron.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1849 seconds