Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Passenger Trains > santa fe hi levels

Date: 01/15/17 10:15
santa fe hi levels
Author: dan

anyone know who bought the mesa verde?  The rebuilt car as a PV coach?

was it corridor capital?   they own 50 or so they are  In the old railway exchange building, in chicago

http://ccrail.com/wp-content/uploads/Corridor-Capital-Hi-Level-Brochure-Single-Pages-2017.pdf

and have done a lot of rail stuff..

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 16:44 by dan.

Date: 01/15/17 15:51
Re: santa fe hi levels
Author: jp1822

So I am confused. Is this the outfit that bought up a lot of the Ex-ATSF Hi-Level Cars that Amtrak discarded/sold in the 1990s? The company is now proposing they "could" put the fleet back in service if a rail organization emerged or had the need (e.g. Amtrak California seems to be most targeted from their presentation).

There's always the benefit of buying new, which is what the current mode of thinking is for the Midwest and California Corridors. However, buying new you run the risk of the CAF disaster and will they pass various FRA tests (e.g. living up to crash worthiness tests). Or does such a corridor service go back and take a look at this type of proposal - which is kinda the VIA model. They buy old fleets of equipment, restore (top to bottom) and then put them in service.

Frankly I am not sure if Amtrak is ever going to see another Superliner order, so is the next best thing they could engage in? Would be nice if they had some sleepers, but the original Ex-ATSF Hi Levels didn't have sleepers in the mix.

I am just curious as to what others think of this company. First time I saw or hear of it. I will say, I am not a fan of the seats. I think they need to be a little more comfortable!

Date: 01/15/17 16:14
Author: Carondelet

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anyone know who bought the Mojave?  The rebuilt
> car as a PV coach?
>
> was it corridor capital?   they own 50 or so they
> are  In the old railway exchange building, in
> chicago
>
> http://ccrail.com/wp-content/uploads/Corridor-Capi
> tal-Hi-Level-Brochure-Single-Pages-2017.pdf
>
> and have done a lot of rail stuff..

I think the OP meant the Mesa Verde - which was the former Amtrak 39935 - and was Amtrak certified about 10 years ago.

Mohave was a single level lounge car - that after checking with some connections- is currently in daily 238 service on the Hoosier State.

Date: 01/15/17 16:45

yep had a moment , meant the mesa verde

Date: 01/15/17 16:58

hoosier state includes the Mohave, echo canyon, the x UP coach  both leased from  mid america and a third coach , maybe on inn car i forget, and of course a full length dome IP owned

Date: 01/15/17 18:44
Author: pdt

I think its a great idea to rebuild...but part of getting a budget approved for AMtrak, is to promise to bring jobs to certain political districts,
so where money is spent is more important than how much money is spent.  If this company wants to sell the cars to a CA agency, they will have to set up shop
in a strong CA political district to close the deal.

Date: 01/15/17 18:54

i concur been told that by knowledgable people in the biz, but with these new tests that the new prototypes can't handle, wonder if the budd shells can meet the requirements, for new equipment placed into service.

Date: 01/15/17 19:59
Author: bobs

That brochure mentions the Comet cars currently being rebuilt for San Joaquin service.  That means the brochure is a few years old.

I also like the idea of rebuilding these cars and using them.  If they propose gutting them, then they could be rebuilt as anything, even sleepers.

Date: 01/15/17 21:22

sure maybe they will get circus fleet too for shells,

but they are after corridors, il, mi, ca state governments that have needs, ie daylight trains

Date: 01/15/17 22:30
Re: Santa Fe hi levels
Author: djansson

Rebuilding those cars would be one heck of a tough job. Stainless steel may not rust and (to some degree) corrosion proof, BUT it is very susceptible to stress cracks and other serious issues. Those cars have many millions of mile on them and they would require a LOT of expensive examination, that is after they were completely stripped down to bare frames.

The HVAC is totally obsolete and would need complete replacement. Add to that automatic doors, plumbing. lighting and wiring, not to mention interiors and new glass, plus FRA mandated safety and mability impaired access impreovements and the costs skyrocket.

The end result would be 40 plus nice cars but well short of the total needed.

Date: 01/15/17 22:50
Re: Santa Fe hi levels

thats pretty much what they firm says they would do.  R12or 22, direct dump, some strange brakes would have to be changed, wheelchair access provided

think they said 50 crs, with the failure of the new prototype, these could be done faster perhaps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 22:51 by dan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0628 seconds