Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Passenger Trains > No Dome/Food Service On Hoosier State Today?

Date: 01/18/17 16:34
No Dome/Food Service On Hoosier State Today?
Author: knotch8

Hearing rumors that there was no dome/ food service/ Business Class on the Hoosier State this morning from Indianapolis to Chicago.  Does anyone know more about that?

Date: 01/18/17 19:39
Re: No Dome/Food Service On Hoosier State Today?
Author: DevalDragon

They probably reposessed the dome car...

Date: 01/18/17 20:28
Author: jcaestecker

Regularly scheduled, privately-owned railcar service has a history of having a difficult time sustaining itself.  For example - Transcisco, AOE, TransLuxe, et. al.

It's not a predictable environment.

-John

Date: 01/19/17 05:17
Author: andersonb109

AOE was never "regularly scheduled" transportation. It was a up market cruise train with several different iteneries...i.e. a cruise ship on rails. They failed for two main reasons....excessive haulage costs from both the host railroads and Amtrak power, and accommodations that many clients deemed too small for the relatively high cost. I suppose the American European Express,  a different company that used the same equipment on the NY-Chicago Cardinal route could be considered regularly scheduled service but as I recall, it's operation much like the failed Iowa Pacific Pullman service ran on an irregular schedule. By comparison, the Rocky Mountaineer seems to be doing just fine in Canada and has for years. A totally private company. 

Date: 01/19/17 06:47
Author: WrongMain

The dome was back on last night's southbound Hoosier State.

Date: 01/19/17 07:43
Author: dan

AEE was doing well till their cars were in derailment, I think, but they leased cars missed some dates, costs spiraled

Date: 01/19/17 08:08
Author: Jishnu

They seem to all operate as typically undercapitalized outfits, and are fragile operations, just one derailment or other averse event away from oblivion, mainly due to under-capitalization.

Date: 01/19/17 13:17
Author: DavidP

I know IPH owns multiple domes, but is more than one set up and available for Hossier State service?  If not, you can see how a bad order car could leave them without a means to offer the premium service.

Dave

Date: 01/19/17 16:07
Author: 12Gauge

IPH had to jump through numerous hoops to qualify their cars for CFR part 238 service, and that included the kitchens.  They may simply not have a backup.

Alvin Bishop
Costa Mesa, CA
California Zephyr Railcar Charters

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds