Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Passenger Trains > [FL] State may impose additional regulation on Brightline

Date: 01/19/17 14:11
[FL] State may impose additional regulation on Brightline
Author: Lackawanna484

TC Palm reports that a state senator from the Space Coast has introduced a bill to make Florida DOT a regulator of Brightline and FEC. A companion bill has been introduced in the house.

Debbie Mayfield says the Brightline organization has been evasive, difficult to deal with, and generally disrespectful of safety. She may be reacting in part to reports that Brightline does not intend to fence parts of the right of way where trains run at high speed.  Her bill acknowledges the federal primacy with regulation of FEC, and sees her bill as a companion or second tier of regulation. Given the uncertainty of Brightline's regulatory obligations, she wants to get the state in an oversight role  immediately.

[Mayfield has been an ally of Senate President Joe Negron (R-Stuart) in prior terms.  It's not clear that he supports the bill, and FDOT doesn't have any comment right now.]

Mayfield

Date: 01/19/17 15:30
Re: [FL] State may impose additional regulation on Brightline
Author: chrsjrcj

What safety rule has Brightline broken? I'm sure the FRA would love to hear it. 

More political BS. 

Date: 01/19/17 16:18
Author: hazegray

chrsjrcj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What safety rule has Brightline broken? I'm sure the FRA would love to hear it. 
>
> More political BS. 

Agree...

Date: 01/20/17 09:12
Author: sums007

hazegray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> chrsjrcj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What safety rule has Brightline broken? I'm
> sure the FRA would love to hear it. 
> >
> > More political BS. 
>
> Agree...

​The TC Palm loves to report stuff like this; it's quite anti-Brightline.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds