Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Passenger Trains > IPH pulls plug on Saratoga snow trains

Date: 01/20/17 07:21
IPH pulls plug on Saratoga snow trains
Author: stuporchief

No sleepers to North Creek

http://poststar.com/news/local/railroad-pulls-plug-on-winter-snow-trains-to-north-creek/article_f6922816-5354-5494-9181-8755773e293d.html

For a related disucssion in Steam & Excursions, go here:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4205445,4205965#msg-4205965

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/17 09:23 by stuporchief.

Date: 01/20/17 12:20
Re: IPH pulls plug on Saratoga snow trains
Author: reindeerflame

What a hoot!  It's so funny.

Date: 01/20/17 12:51
Author: njfrn

Yes, reindeerflame, it is always hilarious when people lose their jobs and a fine collection of passenger rail operations seems to be on the verge of collapse. Curious what mirth you found in this situation.

Date: 01/20/17 14:18
Author: 1976

njfrn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, reindeerflame, it is always hilarious when
> people lose their jobs and a fine collection of
> passenger rail operations seems to be on the verge
> of collapse. Curious what mirth you found in this
> situation.

I'll say it again. The use of the word "flame" in his name is no accident.

Date: 01/20/17 15:56
Author: reindeerflame

Can the Hoosier State be far behind?

Perhaps the new president can put an end to the carnage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/17 16:02 by reindeerflame.

Date: 01/20/17 16:45
Author: joemvcnj

Hooiser State is subsidized, carries 85 people per trip, and lives within budget. Lack of equipment is what could get it.

Date: 01/20/17 17:22
Author: District

I was once the subject of a reduction in force on December 30th during the great recession. It is no fun, though I took the opportunity to finish a masters of engineering and was employeed by May.

I am not sure what this says about the US approach to passenger rail that we cannot even have the operation of a through sleeper between NYC and a nearby winter ski area. If I recall there was not going to be a through car operation, requiring a ride on a coach seat on Amtrak, then transfering to a sleeper on SNCRR. I am not sure if a through sleeper was the original plan or not.

The US as a matter of policy does need to make it easier to enable private passenger operations and coordinate with other operators, which NRPC is supposed to facilitate by Federal law. The NRPC has shown little initiative in recent years toward any expansion of actual service.

I would prefer no more routing for a business to fail however, which actually isn't even known, as I recall similar discussions prior to this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/17 18:26 by District.

Date: 01/21/17 08:23
Author: EmpireBuilder

You can't afford to run a money losing pet project without a 2nd operation that makes enough money to support both.   You can't run a dozen or so pet projects without siphoning a lot of income off of the winners.   You can't afford your pet projects for very long once you sell your winners.   Very soon your cash is gone and nobody will loan you any more money.   Are we at that point ? 

Date: 01/21/17 13:38
Author: stuporchief

Right about now this feels like watching passenger trains disappear in the late 1960s. The main difference is that you don't find a "Notice of Proposed Discontinuance" in each coach.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds