Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak 8 w/ PV Northern Sky

Date: 02/21/17 19:08
Amtrak 8 w/ PV Northern Sky
Author: sethamtrak

Amtrak 8 the Eastbound Builder arrives and departs in Glenview on 2/21/17. Private Car "Northern Sky" is returning to Chicago from a charter to Seattle. 

I am still trying to come up with a reason why they like the car pulled lounge end first or vestibule end last. The lounge windows are facing the but of the superliner ahead. 

Seth- www.youtube.com/user/sethamtrak

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/21/17 19:19
Re: Amtrak 8 w/ PV Northern Sky
Author: kbmiflyer

What a beautiful car.  I was at the exact same location yesterday with my son to see Heritage Unit #184 leading the Empire Builder to the city.

Date: 02/21/17 19:42
Author: The_Chief_Way

Agree with Seth. I can only speculate that they like the dome facing the way it is, and that's more importatnt than downstairs viewing.

Date: 02/22/17 03:19
Author: andersonb109

If they are returning from a charter it sounds like a positioning move to get home. Thus with no clients on board they could probably care less which way the car is facing....saving switching charges in the process. 

Date: 02/22/17 03:55
Author: The_Chief_Way

Don't know whether it was live or deadhead, but I've seen the car go by enough times to think they run it
"backwards" on purpose.

Date: 02/22/17 05:44
Author: USNChief

This might be the reason. The dome is not in the center of the car. By having the car this way the dome is further back from the Superliner and so you get bit better view then if you were closer to the Superliner. Does that make sense?

Ret. Navy Chief Bob Jensen
Manteno, IL

Date: 02/22/17 10:56
Author: ABB

In this position are the dome seats facing toward the rear of the train?

Date: 02/22/17 12:07
Author: sethamtrak

From what I understand (from being told), this was a round trip charter from Tomah to Seattle. The car was occupied as far as Tomah. Only the crew remained east of Tomah. I'm just saying, if I chartered it, I wouldn't want it facing the "right" way. Maybe it has to do with Centering weight to prevent hunting (swaying)?

Al (abb), its tables and swivel chairs in the dome, so no coach style seats per say.

Seth-

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds