Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak in Vancouver (the FIRST Vancouver)

Date: 02/23/17 14:54
Amtrak in Vancouver (the FIRST Vancouver)
Author: sagehen

When you say you're from near Vancouver, people assume you're Canadian.  You grow weary, then start saying "the first Vancouver", as Vancouver, Washington was founded well before Vancouver, British Columbia (and named for the same man).  Anyway, the first Vancouver is one of the premier train watching sites in the west.  The depot is located in the middle of a wye on the north bank of the Columbia River, across from Portland, Oregon.  There are easily 60 or more train movements daily including 12 Amtrak trains.

1. A three-hour late Portland section of "The Empire Builder" arrives on the south leg of the wye

2. The "Builder" unloads passengers on the south leg of the wye, behind the depot.  It soon left for Portland to be turned, cleaned, and restocked.  This same train set is scheduled to be back here at 5:07 pm.  The Amtrak phone app says to expect it on time.

3. Shortly afterwards, No. 11 arrives 15 minutes late in front of the station.  A Pacific Parlor car brings up the rear.  This seems unusual.  Is it a deadhead move?

Enjoy,
Stan Praisewater

Date: 02/23/17 20:46
Re: Amtrak in Vancouver (the FIRST Vancouver)
Author: sethamtrak

I love the matching paint schemes. For once the cars match the engine. 

Seth- 

Date: 02/25/17 17:40
Re: Amtrak in Vancouver (the FIRST Vancouver)
Author: DTrainshooter

As I saw on a coffee mug when I lived there "Vancouver, not BC...Washington, not DC"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds