Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Passenger Trains > Aurora colo gets light rail service today with the r line opening

Date: 02/24/17 18:35
Aurora colo gets light rail service today with the r line opening
Author: dan

opened at 11am today to some cold weather and snow ;  following I-225 roughly, north south line east of denver

Date: 02/24/17 19:59
Re: Aurora colo gets light rail service today with the r line ope
Author: casco17

Thanks for the heads up.  This is a "new" route with no parallel freight line, and IIRC much fewer grade crossings...no hiccups with PTC on this route?

Date: 02/24/17 20:48
Author: bretton88

The R Line is a new light rail line, so no need for PTC or anything more complex than usual. It is super slow though.

Date: 02/24/17 21:22
Author: ronzephyr

How do you define super slow?
​Not much difference from the E or F line Union Station/Downtown (42-45 minutes)- roughly 16 miles
​52 minutes for 18 mies (estimate) from Lincoln Avenue
​15 stops- this is not an express line to the airport

​Ron

Date: 02/24/17 21:48
Author: Cumbresfan

casco17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the heads up.  This is a "new" route
> with no parallel freight line, and IIRC much fewer
> grade crossings...no hiccups with PTC on this
> route?

No PTC but very slow (much is 35 mph or below) with numerous stations and street crossings (some with no priority for LR), some street running and crazy diagonal crossings at 4-way intersections. See this video to understand the situation:
https://youtu.be/a5gHD0uXvHk

Date: 02/25/17 01:05
Author: joemagruder

It is hard to understand why a new light rail line would have so much slow running.

Date: 02/25/17 05:49
Author: cozephyr

Difficult route winding around Aurora Metro Center Station/Towncenter Mall and shops along South Sable Blvd.

R Line  train @Colfax Station over East Colfax about 7 PM February 24, 2017. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/17 05:50 by cozephyr.

Date: 02/25/17 07:38
Author: Grande473

As a retired Denver light rail train operator (we are not conductors) I can shed some light on this. Our Light Rail Vehicles have a governor set at 57 mph with a top posted speed of 55 mph. The commuter trains top out at 79 mph. The routing through Aurora is the big bottleneck. There was a lot of back-and-forth between RTD and Aurora planners over this, such as emergency vehicles having to wait for trains at gated crossings.
​  The plan was to have nine trainsets in the rotation with 15-minute headways with some headway adjustment going through Aurora.

Date: 02/25/17 08:55
Author: dan

it was originally going to go next to a bunch of hospitals, but they were afraid of the vehicles effects on medical equipment, what a shame.  the new VA,.childrens, fitz, CU a shame it couldn't be closer

Date: 02/26/17 06:31
Author: Bob3985

I was down in Aurora Friday for dinner at my favorite German restaurant and spend the night nearby which just happened to along the R line. The trains were running quite regularly. I don't believe this line was supposed to be high speed with all the stops they serve. The point being that I saw very full trains on Friday about 5pm. They are getting the ridership. And the R line does duck under I-225 to get to the west side and has an elevated station by 6th Avenue next to the Anschutz medical center. They just added like 6 or 7 new wings to that hospital. When I get back home from manning our model layout at the mall I will down load a few photos I took yesterday.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/26/17 13:31
Author: Grande473

The rides were free Friday. That's why so many people showed up. I remember running a train on the W line on opening day weekend. Load 'em and go, no schedule. (Actually there was a schedule but it was a work of fiction.)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds