Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Passenger Trains > Tilikum Bridge -- Portland

Date: 03/21/17 12:27
Tilikum Bridge -- Portland
Author: WP17

Like a number of my fellow TO members, I attended Winterail -- a giant shout out to Vic and Annie and the others for a great show. 

I did spend a day in Portland checking out and riding some of the latest additions to the LRV and streetcar systems. I managed a neat shot of a Portland Streetcar crossing the new transit-only bridge. BTW it's formal name is Tilikum Crossing - Bridge of the People. 

WP17

Date: 03/21/17 12:50
Re: Tilikum Bridge -- Portland
Author: Cumbresfan

Great picture. I rode the trolley across the bridge last Tuesday. Both the A and B loop trolleys and the MAX Orange line stop at the east end of the bridge at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center, home of SP 4449, SP&S 700 and other engines. So when you visit Portland, there's no excuse not to visit on the days they are open (Thursday - Sunday IIRC)!

Date: 03/21/17 14:54
Author: cozephyr

Oregon Rail Heritage Center is well worth a visit!  SP 4449 an impressive machine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 14:55 by cozephyr.

Date: 03/22/17 09:49
Author: march_hare

Are those separate lanes for bikes, pedestrians, and trains?

Date: 03/22/17 10:02
Author: Jsporseen

Yes there are bike, pedestrian and rail lanes.  Also, two bus lines use the rail line.  A third bus line is in the works which will be BRT out to Gresham if and when it happens.

Interesting also, in emergency situations, police/fire/medical vehicles can use the bridge if it will get them to the situation quicker.  I don't believe that has happened since the bridge opened.

Date: 03/22/17 10:07

Here are a couple of pictures that I took of the bridge at night

Date: 03/22/17 10:11

I have a file with lots of pictures of the bridge some of which I took and others that I have downloaded from other sites.  I took the first one but accidentally included two that are not my own.

Date: 03/22/17 13:39
Author: andersonb109

"Bridge of the People."  Sounds like something out of the Soviet Union. 

Date: 03/22/17 15:42
Author: 86235

Very nice picture.

Date: 03/22/17 16:39
Author: WP17

For the record Wikipedia explains that "Tilikum is a Chinook Jargon word meaning people, tribe, or family, and the name is intended to honor the Multnomah, Cascade, Clackamas, and other Chinookan peoples who lived in the area as long as 14,000 years ago. "

WP17

Date: 03/22/17 21:32
Author: asheldrake

and our new beautiful bridge changes lighting colors with water flow and temperature.....the Oregon Rail Herigtage Center is one short block from the OMSI/Water Avenue Streetcar and MAX Orange line stops.....the Orange line also stops right near Union Station thus "connecting" these two rail attractions.  ORHC will also be open the day following the June 24-25 4449 Bend trip.   Arlen

Date: 03/24/17 21:15
Author: OregonOldGuy

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Bridge of the People."  Sounds like something
> out of the Soviet Union. 

Part of the (Keep Portland Weird) motto!

Love the full moon shot.  Will have to try that one IF we get a clear sky sunset!

Rob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds