Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Passenger Trains > [FL] Brightline is hiring

Date: 03/23/17 10:50
[FL] Brightline is hiring
Author: Lackawanna484

Engineers, train managers (conductors), train staff, mechanics.  Future openings for sales, beverage service, station jobs, security, etc

Current Openings

Date: 03/23/17 12:23
Re: [FL] Brightline is hiring
Author: The_Chief_Way

A lot of people may be wondering if Brightline is under Railroad Retirement.

Date: 03/23/17 12:50

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A lot of people may be wondering if Brightline is
> under Railroad Retirement.

My understanding is the employees are not covered under railroad retirement

The job listing for locomotive engineers requires engineer-conductor dual certification  under federal rules.

Date: 03/23/17 13:38
Author: chrsjrcj

If you're interested in being a technician for the actual train, Siemens is where you want to go. 

Date: 03/23/17 15:15
Author: PlyWoody

Brightline is a contacting company that runs the Rapid Transit Interurban "All Abroad Florida" and is not a railroad and does not pay into the Federal Railroad Retirement system. Brightline is not covered by FELA. If it was a railroad passenger train, they would be required to pay into the Railroad Retirement Bureau.They are a intrastate operation just the same as Rail Runner Express between Santa Fe and Belen, NM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/17 15:22 by PlyWoody.

Date: 03/23/17 15:42
Author: CPR_4000

FEC itself is also an "intrastate" operation; don't its crews pay into RRB? Maybe the difference is that FEC is engaged in interstate transportation even though it's located entirely within Florida?

Date: 03/23/17 16:20
Author: emd_mrs1

Thank you for posting this opportunity. It is appreciated.

Michael

Date: 03/23/17 16:45
Author: The_Chief_Way

Rapid Transit Interurban ?
Looks like a passenger train to me. 
Won't it interface with other freight and passenger trains?

Date: 03/23/17 16:58

There was a long, complicated and somewhat angry discussion of how Florida East Coast, All Aboard Florida, and interstate commerce interface right here a few weeks ago.

I believe the conclusion was AAF offers rapid transit, does not interchange with any other rail service, does not issue or share ticketing, etc.

Date: 03/23/17 21:04
Author: irhoghead

Be forewarned, I looked into these jobs several months ago, and spoke with the HR manager. They do NOT pay into Railroad Retirement.

Date: 03/24/17 12:47
Author: wabash2800

Could these two railroads set a precedent for other commuter lines?

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 03/27/17 08:46
Author: PlyWoody

Mr. Baird,
All abroad Florida was designed to be a rapid transit, as you can read in their application to be excluded from the Surface Board jurisdiction. See my earlier post where I linked the STB 7 page ruling of Dec 2014 of not having jurisdiction.  This can not be applied to other passenger trains.  Tri-Rail also in Miami and Rail Runner Express in New Mexico also do not pay into Railroad Retirement of the Federal government, as they too are not Federal interstate trains.  The RiverLine of New Jersey Transit and the San Diego Trolley are also rapid transit and do not pay into Railroad Retirement Bureau, because they are not a railroad.  Look means nothing, it is how they operate, and how it fits the description of the US Constitution Commerce Clause.  Passenger alone are not commerce, as that was defined by the Act to Regulate Interstate Commerce.  Many count cases by and against the trolley railroad industry answered the question whether passenger were commerce.  They were not, and therefore the trolley railroads, rapid transit, did not come under the jurisdiction of the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC).  The FRA still acts per the same U.S. Constitution and do not have jurisdiction over Rapid Transit.

Please read all of this STB ruling.
https://www.apta.com/mc/legal/previous/2014/synopsis/Documents/All%20Aboard%20Florida.pdf  its only 7 pages

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/17 13:58 by PlyWoody.

Date: 04/08/17 13:51
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for the clarification Plywoody. I did check out the link you provided.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/17 15:40 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds