Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Passenger Trains > Maglev construction Baltimore to DC in two years - operational 3

Date: 03/26/17 21:18
Maglev construction Baltimore to DC in two years - operational 3
Author: Mgoldman

Renewed Hope For Maglev Line Between Baltimore And D.C.
March 20, 2017 4:57 PM By Alex DeMetrick  - CBS News

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/03/20/renewed-hope-for-maglev-line-between-baltimore-and-d-c/

Sounds like "Fake" news, lol.  C'mon.  Really, just stop already. 

10 billion sounds like pie in the sky.
2 years to start IS pie in the sky.

Running trains 3 years later....

Now - if they said, the study (how many would we be up to?) - if they said the study would be done
in 5 years and construction would start a year later with running trains by 2035 or 2045, perhaps...

Sorry - it was so ludicrous, I had to post. I mean, it's not even April yet.

/Mitch
(Waiting patiently on Amtrak's 5 year project to increase speeds on some 12 miles of the NEC in NJ)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 21:20 by Mgoldman.

Date: 03/26/17 22:11
Re: Maglev construction Baltimore to DC in two years - operationa
Author: MojaveBill

Somewhere, P.T. Barnum is smiling!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/27/17 03:19
Re: Maglev construction Baltimore to DC in two years - operation
Author: ClubCar

The whole thing about a Maglev between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. is beyond ludicrous.  It will NEVER Work because it is too short of a distance to make any sense and it goes by the theory that commuters only ride between the two cities.  This in itself is totally ludicrous as if any one has any common sense and looks at the current ridership on the two rail lines where the MARC Commuter Trains currently operate, they will see that commuters get on and off these trains at all the many stations between the two major cities.  What good would it do to have a Maglev train stopping and starting over and over again between these two cities which is only 37 miles apart from Camden Station in Baltimore to Union Station in D.C.?  To build a Maglev system here will be the biggest Boondoggle ever in the entire history of Maryland.  These people who want this are idiots for sure.
John

Date: 03/27/17 08:48
Author: RevRandy

Think of the Empire State Building -- they have express elevators which whisk people to the top non-stop. These are useful only for the relatively small number of people who want to get to the top.  Alongside those express elevators are banks upon banks of elevators that are local and semi-express to upper stories which do the majority of the work in the building. 

I think it would be interesting to know exactly how many riders there are who ride BAL-WAS each day (without gettting on or off at intermediary stops).  I suspect this number is not very impressive.  And once you add in other stops to up those numbers you will have little speed advantage and probably will have decades of litigation about which municipalities would get those stops.  

The only higher-speed rail service likely to be up and running by 2020 is Brightline in Florida, not some new technology around DC.

Date: 03/27/17 08:56
Author: Lackawanna484

Maglev in Maryland would still encounter the ferocious and extremely well funded NIMBY constituency.  A quick review of the Purple Line's history is sobering, and that was a direct benefit to many local people. A maglev to benefit bureaucrats and lobbyists wouldn't even get past the talk stage.

Date: 03/27/17 12:46
Author: Jishnu

Two years back it was said that the grand Maglev would be operational in Orlando connecting the airport to I-Drive and various other places. Like with most Maglev projects it disappeared like the South Sea Bubble before anything had a chance to materialize.

Date: 03/27/17 16:17
Author: PRR1361

See my 3/27 post above. Insane.

Date: 03/27/17 17:05
Author: Mgoldman

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The whole thing about a Maglev between Baltimore
> and Washington, D.C. is beyond ludicrous.  It
> will NEVER Work because it is too short of a
> distance to make any sense and it goes by the
> theory that commuters only ride between the two
> cities. 

There will be a stop at the B&O Railraod Museum.

; )

I agree - seems too short a distance and worse - there
already IS high(er) speed rail.

The thought is that the line would eventually extend all
the way to Boston but by then we'll likely be using trans-
porters like those on Star Trek.  Y'know, for those of us
that don't like the by then completed Hyperloop.

Y'know what grinds my gears - aside from the completely
unrealistic time frames?  It's the fact that Baltimore won
a contest, along with Pittsburgh long ago for a maglev
project and in the end, simply came to the realizatoin that
they didn't want it after all....   I guess they just want the
money.

/Mitch

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds