Home Open Account Help 202 users online

Passenger Trains > AutoTrain consist?

Date: 12/03/00 18:22
AutoTrain consist?
Author: Drew314

hello,

Any clues as to the AutoTrain consist these days?

Thanks,
Drew Howard

Date: 12/03/00 19:25
RE: AutoTrain consist?
Author: rlcabin

I rode AutoTrain about a month ago. I didn\'t record the exact consist, but I recall we had 2 GE units, 17 passenger cars and 23 auto carriers. Passenger cars, I believe, included 7 sleepers, 5 coaches, 2 diners, 2 lounge cars and a dorm. I could be off by a few cars.

We carried about 400 passengers and 250 automobiles.

Date: 12/03/00 20:08
Author: WSFrench

Very often I am at Acca when the AutoTrain comes thru. The
Gentleman who replied earlier was basically right.

Normally there are 13 Superliner II's and 22 or 23 autoracks.

Last night there were 22 autoracks. 11 of the older box-car type
and 11 of the newer Thrall type.

If you need any further info I'll be glad to go down there
and check it out for you. Though this time of year it is generally dark circa 5:20-6:00 when it comes thru Tower AY at Acca.

I do have some video i took during the Summer and Fall months
if you needed me to search it out.

On some days it has been known to actually come to a complete stop
at the West Wye.

Bill

Date: 12/03/00 21:06
Author: RyanAlen

The following was in the Trains magazine newswire posted 11/26.
Anybody see any firsthand evidence?

Amtrak's Auto Train has always been part passenger train, part freight train, what with all the auto-carrying cars comprising its rear half. But the freight will be a bit heavier over the next three weeks as the Auto Train will haul also RoadRailer trailers loaded with holiday-related mail between Lorton, Va., and Orlando, Fla.

About 16 other Amtrak trains routinely carry RoadRailers on the back end, but this is the first time the Auto Train has handled RoadRailer express shipments.

Date: 12/04/00 09:21
Author: Drew314

Bill and co.,

Thanks for you replies! I have old video (pre-Superliner) that shows up to 22 cars and 20 auto racks.

cheers,
Drew Howard

Date: 12/04/00 13:01
Auto Train video
Author: NE933

Is it the 1994 Pentrex video showing Auto Train leaving Lorton, VA with new Genesis #833?

Great video!!! Nice intereor shots at night of the dome lounge and dining car (the piano player has to go, though). Best shot was when train was approaching a Florida dawbridge, horns blowing, then 47 cars and 2 engines banging over it while boaters watched and took pictures.

Date: 12/04/00 17:41
Author: whitcomb45

In response to the auto train hauling mail, tonight (12/4) there were 3 roadrailers or high speed boxcars (too dark and far away to be sure) behind the auto racks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds