Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Passenger Trains > ONR Northlander Reprieved

Date: 12/14/00 05:17
ONR Northlander Reprieved
Author: david

The Ontario government has given a temporary reprieve to the Northlander passenger service between Toronto and Cochrane. Details are available from the Toronto Star at www.thestar.com under the "Ontario" section. The article doesn't mention that until a few years ago the train ran at a reasonably convenient time. Now the northbound train arrives Cochrane at 0500 (with no sleeper.) The southbound train departs at 0600. It frequently runs two hours or more late and the ONR replaces it with bus service for the slightest justification. For example, if there is a line disruption north of North Bay, a bus is used all the way as opposed to running the train at least between North Bay and Toronto. Since these changes were made the passenger loads have dropped drastically. The same government that caused this downgrading is now threatening to discontinue the service unless the financial situation improves. I would suggest turning the operation of the train over to Via Rail. Are there any other suggestions other than restoring a convenient schedule? I urge Canadians to write their MPs (and MLAs if residents of Ontario.)

Date: 12/14/00 08:18
RE: ONR Northlander Reprieved
Author: dojo

Rode the Northlander last year. I would make the following comments. First, if they are serious about this train, it should be made a daytime operation in both directions. Second, they should seek penalties on the CNR section for stabbing the train. We were in good order until we hit CNR, and we could have gone forward a siding or two before making the meets with the freights. These are dispatching problems on CNR. Third. the ONR operates its own bus system, as many know. It is to be expected that they will run a bus at the drop of a pin. If they had to hire a Greyhound, it might be a bit more cautious. As a sidenote, I found the bus stop in Hearst not marked. It is roughly across the street from Mc. donalds, on the driveway in front of a travel agency. I could find no markings, no logo, and there were no lights. Not too helpful for a 0500 departure. The cab company had no idea where the bus station was, and my motel operator, though only about 200 yards from it, didn't know of the bus stop. Greyhound also stops there. Those connecting between the Algoma Central and the ONR are advised to wait (assuming you stay overnight in a motel)in the Husky gas station where is is warm and food is available. The ONR bus driver gets coffee and such there before he departs to Cochrane. If the failure to mark a station be the case with the bus operation which ONR likes, how good do you think the marketing of the train is? Finally, as to equipment for the Northlander, the present equipment is hard riding, and the passenger comfort is sacrificed.. There is some political consideration here, butI do not know it. Change is not in the works. However, ONR has a fair amount of the old CNR Continental equipment that it uses summer only for the Polar Bear, and that could be, and should be used, once upgraded, for the regular schedule or the Northlander. The old equipment still rides well and is pleasant to be in, having adequate room for each passenger.

Date: 12/14/00 12:27
RE: ONR Northlander Reprieved
Author: chrisg

The main problem for this funky schedule is that Via charges such a high fee for overnighting the train in Toronto , that the only way to keep the costs of the service down was to run it south from Cochrane in the Morning and leave Toronto in the evening so that the equipment could just stay at the station and not encure any cost . I'll be on the Southbound ONR on 12/31/00 which is also my birthday .

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds