Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Passenger Trains > #5 left DEN @12:30pm thurs-w/Cal Tran Car. D&S

Date: 12/21/00 16:45
#5 left DEN @12:30pm thurs-w/Cal Tran Car. D&S
Author: dan

#5 left Den late today. Cold weather restrictions still out there or late equip cycles? Oh well it had cal tran car3248? behind the power. Who built those cars? Forney eqipment is all lined up ready to depart mailwell. Ski train looks sharp. X D&SL wrecker here at Burnham it looks like, arriving from SLC via WY. few RG Tunnel motors and a C&NW op Lifesaver unit there also.

Date: 12/21/00 17:34
RE: #5 left DEN @12:30pm thurs-w/Cal Tran Car. D&a
Author: toledopatch

Saw a CalTrain passenger car through Toledo yesterday (12/20) morning near the rear of #49, but didn't get its number. Perhaps a Bombardier product?

Date: 12/21/00 17:36
Correction
Author: toledopatch

The CalTrain car I saw was on #49 of the 18th, through Toledo on the morning of the 19th. My, how time flies -- can't even keep yesterday and the day before straight any more.

Date: 12/22/00 17:34
RE: #5 left DEN @12:30pm thurs-w/Cal Tran Car. D&a
Author: calhog

Alstom subcontracted with Amtrak to rebuild the Caltrain cars, though I'm not sure exactly what Amtrak's role is. I believe the cars' rough ride is due more to an inferior truck design than it is just weight. Despite pleas from everybody to use a different truck design on the new cars and rebuilds, the Joint Powers Board snubbed their noses at everyone and ordered the same rough riding trucks anyway. Note to dan: Are you sure about that car number? Caltrain trailer cars are numbered in the 3800s and cab cars in the 4000s.

Date: 12/22/00 18:31
: #5 left DEN @ 6pm friday

the CZ is now a day train between omaha-den, met #6 at Plain which is on time I think. Can u say wholly service guarantee.The Cal train car i saw thurs lookin at my video is 3?43, most likly 3043? or is the 0 a 6 or 8? sorry.

Date: 12/22/00 18:33
cal train 3843 maybe

is there a roster of west coast cars on the net yet?

Date: 12/22/00 18:47
truck design??

trucks look conventional, which I like. Do you think they are oversprung??? It out be able to be corrected. throw some ballast on board or give discounts to LARGE people to get a smooother ride.

Date: 12/22/00 23:47
RE: truck design??
Author: lairport

Consensus seems to be truck design problem, I don't know what patent design trucks are built under since Japanese aren't known for unique original design efforts. For example the Orig. Blueline trolleys in LA are a Swiss motor truck design built under license in Japan.
I rode a Caltrain "eartquake loaner" in 1994 from LA to Santa Clarita and a "Bomber" set back. I was impressed with the difference, the Caltrain cars are extremely rough riders. This corrected my previous perception that poor ride quality suffered while visiting the Peninsula was due to local track conditions.
It would be intersting if anyone could elaborate on this technical issue.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds