Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Passenger Trains > Chicago WebCam Location?

Date: 12/24/00 10:28
Chicago WebCam Location?
Author: J.Wilke

There is a great webcam, viewing a METRA station, which I access thru the "Freight Detective" links. It is simply named "Illinois Train Cam". Where is this? What line?

Date: 12/24/00 11:03
RE: Chicago WebCam Location?
Author: hammer

I believe the webcam that you are speaking of is the CNW west-service, actual location is unknown......
Hope this helps....
TheHammer
Mark!

Date: 12/24/00 22:10
Author: TimV

That's my neck-of-the-woods. Post the URL and I should be able to tell by looking at it.
TimV
Wheaton, IL

Date: 12/25/00 07:38
Author: j.wilke

It is a web adjustable camera, so the URL is about as long as an Amtrak schedule delay, but here tis: Http://207.152.98.166/cgi-bin/liveshot?ppan=3518&tilt=1399&zoom=8 The web cam is one of the best rail cams on the net and worth the access effort. Thanks for your help

Date: 12/25/00 11:01
The answer...
Author: TimV

The webcam overlooks the Lake-Cook Road station on the Milwaukee-North line.

Schedule information is at: http://www.metrarail.com/Sched/md_n/md_n.html
Check the camera around the time it shows for the Lake-Cook station. Outbound trains will be heading toward the camera. Inbound trains are cab-car first and heading away from the camera as they head toward the 94/294 connetion overpass visible in the distance.

You should also be able to see CP freights at this location and the elusive Metra F40C locomotives should be common.

Too bad it's not the old CNW west line. Trains galore down here.
Happy holiday.
TimV
Wheaton, IL

Date: 12/25/00 14:13
Author: j.wilke

Thanks Tim. I have felt this is one of the best railcams, and was a bit surprised it was not identified.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0261 seconds