Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Passenger Trains > AEM7 speed when running alone?

Date: 08/20/01 09:48
AEM7 speed when running alone?
Author: Bengt

Which is the higest allowable speed for AEM7-locos when running alone whithout cars?
Same for the rebuilt ones(whith regenerative brakes?)?

Date: 08/20/01 10:38
RE: AEM7 speed when running alone?
Author: rdg484

Although I don't have my Timetable/Special Instructions book with me right now, to the best of my knowledge a single AEM-7 light is 50 MPH, multiple light is 70 MPH.

Date: 08/20/01 10:50
Author: 41gut

50 mph for all lite moves, unless otherwise restricted.

Date: 08/20/01 12:32
Author: crazy_nip

i think all light engine moves on all railroads is 55MPH, unless the track speed is less than that... Im not sure about those super light engine moves with like 15 engines, those might be allowed to move faster, but you wont see anything like that on amtrak

Date: 08/20/01 14:20
Author: zz89my

... so I guess that run we made light (3 locos) at 134 mph was a bit excessive.

Date: 08/20/01 17:39
Author: MW4man

Lite engine moves with AEM-7, E60, and F40 (single or multiple) were 80 MPH until the Chase II accident. It was determined that the accident wouldn't have happened if the engines were going under 50 MPH. Since then there has been an arbitrary 50 MPH limit on all lite engine moves on the NEC.

FYI, the accident involved a single F40 with two E60s in tow. A classic oops for the guys setting up the consist. The three engines were coupled up in WUT and an air test was succesfully conducted. Then the Pans on the E60s were dropped as was required by new instructions for mixed consist engine moves with a diesel leading. The E60s were not set up for "dead in tow", and therefore not receiving air from the diesel. By the time the consist reached Gunpow there was no air left on the two electrics and the F40 was on its own to stop the consist for the stop signal.

Date: 08/20/01 20:18
Author: 41gut

Actually they were getting air from the diesel. Brakepipe air which, was going straight to the main res of the electrics. After a few reductions prior to collision the original 140 pds in the dead electrics (prior to dropping the pans in the station)was to low to apply the brakes from the head end.

Date: 08/21/01 05:51
Author: MW4man

That was the problem, the electrics were not getting air from the Diesel. The brake pipe was hooked up, but unless the dead in tow cock is set, the air from the brake pipe (110#) will not feed the Main Res. Also the MR hoses were not hooked up between the engines so no help there. This is not a major problem as long as the compressors on the trailing units are running. Not possible with the pans down. On the road a few brake applications ate up the bottled air in the reserviors of the electrics till there was non left, then the train she no stop so good.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds