Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Passenger Trains > San Francisco Muni 1976

Date: 11/15/04 18:52
San Francisco Muni 1976
Author: photobob

Heres PCC car 1030 running as a J Church Line car passing the old Emporium in 1976. The clock I believe belonged to Samuels Jewery Store and I know was relocated. Is car 1030 still around and when was Market Street torn up for BART?

Date: 11/15/04 18:58
Re: San Francisco Muni 1976
Author: stash

Off topic, for sure, but here is a photo of the top of that Emporium building as it now looks.

Now, on topic. Here's tidbit I found on the Web for tomorrow night:

Mark your calendar for the November 16, 2004 Market Street Railway Annual Meeting at the IBEW Hall, 55 Fillmore, 6:30pm. MSR President Rick Laubscher and Muni Chief Michael Burns will speak about 2004. We'll show some rare 16mm film footage of Market Street during its glory days, and a new video of No.162 being towed from Pharr Division to Geneva Division after 47 years.

Tuesday, November 16, 6:30pm
55 Fillmore, IBEW Hall

Date: 11/15/04 19:10
Wheres the roof rides???
Author: photobob

You would have to be a real San Franciscan to remember the roof rides at the Emporium at Christmas time.The only Santa Claus I ever believed in had the Emporium gig.

Date: 11/15/04 21:22
Re: Wheres the roof rides???
Author: GenePoon

Count me in.

Besides, Bob got the thread back on topic because one of the roof rides was a miniature train.

Date: 11/15/04 21:29
Author: DaveE

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would have to be a real San Franciscan to
> remember the roof rides at the Emporium at
> Christmas time.The only Santa Claus I ever
> believed in had the Emporium gig.

I may have only been a kid at the time, but I remember my great aunt and my grandmother taking my on those rooftop rides during the holidays. That would have been middle to late '60s. I believe Stonestown had a set as well during the holidays.

DaveE (born in SF, though raised on the Peninsula)

Date: 11/15/04 21:42
SF Streetcar photos
Author: gobbl3gook

I was on a Muni system tour at the TRAC (Train Riders' Association of California) conference a week ago. Join TRAC and support passenger rail service in CA. http://www.calrailnews.com

Photos at http://ted.5u.com/streetcarride/photos.html

No 1030, but I got the 130 and the 1063.

Ted in Davis

Date: 11/15/04 23:13
Author: joemagruder

If my notes are right, BART began service in the subway under Market Street on 11/3/1973. It was several years before Muni began to use their part of the subway. Thus, this picture shows Market Street after the BART construction has been completed.

Date: 11/16/04 01:30
Author: SLOtrainbum

Im only 22 (almost 23), but I do remember going for rides on top of either Macy's or Emporium either in the late 80's or early 90's...scary stuff for sure!
John in SLO

Date: 11/16/04 01:47
Re: San Francisco Muni 1976 - No.162?
Author: john1082

What is significant about No. 162? Why was it stuck for so many years?

stash Wrote:
> Off topic,

d a new
> video of No.162 being towed from Pharr Division to
> Geneva Division after 47 years.
>
> Tuesday, November 16, 6:30pm
> 55 Fillmore, IBEW Hall

Date: 11/16/04 07:45
Author: fjc

I remember those roof rides at Emporium, I thought it was the greatest thing, looking at Stash's photo is what reminded me of that blast from the past.

photobob Wrote:
> You would have to be a real San Franciscan to
> remember the roof rides at the Emporium at
> Christmas time.The only Santa Claus I ever
> believed in had the Emporium gig.

Date: 11/16/04 07:59
Author: WAF

Jeez Bob, we have to get Tony Johnson in here and then we can start crying in our beer about the San Francisco of old. Yup, count me on your memories of SF old..

Date: 11/16/04 09:04
Author: mococomike

They also had great toy train displays on the floor below. I like the ferris wheel on the roof as it swung over the side of the building. Nothing like it in the world.

Date: 11/16/04 13:40
Author: rdsexton

I rode J car many times, mostly in the older cars, in the late forties. But a question for other SFers, what was the line that ran up 24th Street and was torn out in the late forties? That was a cool ride to the end of the line with the car perched on the steep end of 24th...

Date: 11/16/04 15:12
Author: stash

rdsexton Wrote:
> I rode J car many times, mostly in the older cars,
> in the late forties. But a question for other
> SFers, what was the line that ran up 24th Street
> and was torn out in the late forties? That was a
> cool ride to the end of the line with the car
> perched on the steep end of 24th...

11 line, of the Market St. Railway, if I recall the map correctly.

Date: 11/16/04 17:53
Author: DNRY122

When I first visited "MuniLand" as a railfan in 1967, they were just starting to divert traffic to allow BART construction. OVer the years I photographed the various temporary routings to allow station construction and connecting the Metro to Twin Peaks tunnel. Since I live in Southern Calif., and only visited a few times a year, there was a new alignment just about every trip.
I remember well the supposedly last run of a PCC in Sept. 1982, and then the triumphant revival of regular streetcar service in Sept. 1995.
As for the fate of Muni 1030, if it's back in Muni custody, the Market St. Ry. website will have it; if not, the "Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars" website will show if it still exists and where.

Now a question for the folks up north:
In June I visited the site of the new LRV center at 25th and Illinois. There was a sign indicating that I was in the right place, but little evidence of construction. Since the Third Street line is supposed to open in less than a year, I'm wondering about the status of this part of the project. (nothing found in the Muni website)
Bob Davis

Date: 01/27/13 22:17
Author: DNRY122

I just checked PNAERC and found that Muni PCC 1030 was last seen at the Fox River Trolley Museum in South Elgin, Ill. The photos show it rather rusty and without a trolley pole.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds