Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Re-enacts Derailment

Date: 12/23/04 14:14
Amtrak Re-enacts Derailment
Author: GenePoon

The cause of the derailment of the City of New Orleans, Train 59(13DEC) could not be determined, beyond a finding of excessive lateral force on the coupler pocket of Baggage 1718, causing its lead truck to climb rail at a switch.

So, at 918pm on Wednesday, Dec. 22, CN and Amtrak re-enacted the incident with the same equipment, P42 #48 and Baggage 1718, at Clark/16th St. Tower, MP 1.4 on CN Chicago Subdivision.

A road foreman operated the equipment, coasting through the switch at 8-10 mph. Baggage 1718 derailed again, the same wheels at the same spot; and this time the other axle on the same truck derailed also. Equipment was re-railed and returned to Chicago at 130am on Dec. 23.

Date: 12/23/04 15:08
Re: Amtrak Re-enacts Derailment
Author: Amtkrd4man

So I wonder what they decided on the cause.....Or was it...Yup it derailed alright...

Date: 12/23/04 15:47
Author: FrankHatfield

"Let's not change anything and see what happens when we do it again!"

What next, try another unit with the same baggage car; or maybe the same unit with another baggage car. Process of elimination.

In the meantime, I guess they have plenty of wheelsets to spare, and plenty of overtime pay to go around.

Date: 12/23/04 17:18
Author: GenePoon

Amtkrd4man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I wonder what they decided on the cause.....Or
> was it...Yup it derailed alright...

=========================

I know they previously said there was no crew responsibility, but I guess this makes it for sure: if it derailed for a Road Foreman, the crew's definitely off the hook! <G>

(sorry, Amtkrd4man!!)

Date: 12/23/04 21:59
Author: john1082

It did demonstrate that the crew did not do anything wrong. I only wonder if they'll take the time and do the stubby pencil work to determine what did happen here.

A repeat performance with another locomotive or car might help focus the inquiry. The locomotives should all be fairly uniform as they are all relatively new and the specs are known. The baggage car may be the key as there could be something in the draft gear or suspension that nobody knows about. Repeat the test with the same baggage car and another locomotive of the same class and see what happens.

Date: 12/24/04 00:41
Author: gobbl3gook

That must have been something for the FRA boys on the ground. Probably don't get to witness a real derailment very often...

Ted in Davis

Date: 12/24/04 10:27
Re: Amtrak Re-enacts Derailment - Sell tickets?
Author: john1082

Wonder if Gunn could have sold some tickets?

Date: 12/24/04 10:35
Author: bnsfbob

FrankHatfield Wrote:
> "Let's not change anything and see what happens
> when we do it again!"
>
> What next, try another unit with the same baggage
> car; or maybe the same unit with another baggage
> car. Process of elimination.
>
> In the meantime, I guess they have plenty of
> wheelsets to spare, and plenty of overtime pay to
> go around.

Re-enactments are quite necessary with some types of investigations. Sometimes the cause of a derailment or malfunction is not readily apparent and the event must be duplicated using as many of the same conditions of the original mishap as possible.

Wheelsets and overtime are cheap compared to the consequences of a serious derailment. Bob

Date: 12/25/04 12:30
Author: czephyr17

Those of us with model railroads can relate.

Date: 12/26/04 23:49
Re: Amtrak Re-enacts Derailment - Sell tickets?
Author: Red

I said it on the previous post regarding this accident, and I'll say it again: I think Amtrak ought to equip its motive power with alignment control couplers. I think this contributed to the SDP40F debacle. As to why the F40's and P42's and P32's didn't have a rash of derailments to the extent the SDP's did, simple: their shorter wheelbase and overall length was more forgiving. But, the problem is still there. Get into a tight spot with a light baggage car coupled to a locomotive unit that does not have alignment control couplers, particularly if the track is marginal, and, you're asking for trouble.

Date: 12/29/04 08:50
Author: HaggisKennedy

czephyr17 Wrote:
> Those of us with model railroads can relate.

That must mean they need to loosen the bolster screw so the truck can track better....

:D

Kennedy

Date: 12/29/04 15:48
Author: filmteknik

Or have couplers attached to the trucks. LOL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds