Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Railfan Trip Reports > Homewood, IL Railfan Platform

Date: 10/06/07 09:18
Homewood, IL Railfan Platform
Author: bandob

With a free day in Chicago on Sunday, 9/30, I decided to take a ride on the METRA IC down to Homewood. I'd heard it was a good spot for frequency. I had not realized, though, that in May of 2007, the city opened a viewing platform on the East side of the tracks, across from the passenger stations. It has benches, elevation, and scanner in use. Its location on the Eastside makes for best shots in the morning. Since I was there midday, my shots will suffer a bit, but it was still a great place to watch trains. A STARBUCKS is immediately across the street, and the rest of downtown is only a block away. Never having been to Homewood, and it being Sunday, I had a more limited return schedule to choose from. However, the platform was so pleasant I settled in for more than an hour's watching. When I arrived, METRA track equipment was at work across the way.

B&O B

Date: 10/06/07 09:20
Re: Homewood, IL Railfan Platform

The equipment went to work in a hurry. I was glad the wind wasn't blowing in my direction. First train was a northbound with NS power.

Bandob

Date: 10/06/07 09:24

The Station building was closed until 2 PM. (I was there around noon). It had a classic interior appearance. North of the station, the city is working on a small park, complete with preserved IC locomotive and caboose.

Bandob

Date: 10/06/07 09:28

Switch moves in the yard often reach all the way down to the platform. Sometimes they come cars first, other times the locomotives are on the south end.

The 12:04 northbound METRA continued the line's punctual operations.

Bandob

Date: 10/06/07 09:32

Trackworkers took care as Amtrak's Saluki arrived about 20 minutes late. After a lunch break, the Passer unit went to work as well. IC 6007 was lead unit on a quartet of locomotives switching the yard.

B&O B

Date: 10/06/07 09:36

GTW and WC locomotives, partnered with the IC unit. All are now CN in actuality.

B&O B

Date: 10/06/07 09:40

With the shifting light. I took some shots from the METRA platform. No police in sight, but I did have my NAVY cap on anyway. I've found that wearing my ship's cap is a good conversation starter, and may give a non-verbal message that I'm an OK guy, at least in terms of patriotism! <grin> I did also have a METRA ticket. By the way, is there any better deal than that $5.00 METRA weekend pass?

Bandob

Date: 10/06/07 09:44

A northbound UP stack train preceded my METRA, but the light wasn't the best. Still, it was a pleasant way to spend midday. I'll plan a return, hopefully on a weekday morning when the light is the best and the trains more frequent.

Kudos to Homewood, IL, though, on an outstanding platform.

B&O B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds