Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Railfan Trip Reports > Carlsbad, New Mexico

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/07/05 09:40
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Author: RebStout

I’ve experienced tornados in the Midwest, blizzards in Newfoundland, typhoons in Okinawa, but I’d never seen anything like the storm ahead of me as I was heading towards Carlsbad.

Nearly pure black clouds, covering the horizon. Must have been 60 miles across. I’m still 75 miles north of Carlsbad and I’m thinking, “I’m driving into this?” Multiple lightning strikes every few seconds. I was raised in Colorado and never saw such lightning! Looked like it was directly over Carlsbad, heading my way. Getting nastier the closer I got to town. Wind whipped sand with dozens of huge tumbleweeds blowing across the road constantly. “Great for the paint job!” I’m thinking. Having trouble keeping my low-slung car in my own lane.

I found my motel and parked my car next to a protective retaining wall. Not going to be any railfanning around here this evening.

I’m always up at 5 am when I’m on the road. A shame to sleep when I can be out looking for trains. I knew it was too early for any decent light, but my plan was to tour Carlsbad Caverns, then be in El Paso, Texas by evening. So I headed for the tracks.

Photo #1 - And we have a “Bingo!” Here sits the gorgeous SD40-2 Southwestern Railroad 3910.

Date: 09/07/05 09:41
Re: Carlsbad, New Mexico

Photo #2 – Another look at the 3910.

Date: 09/07/05 09:42

Photo #3 – Front view of the 3910.

Date: 09/07/05 09:43

Photo #4 – The 9710 – GP40. The ditch lights look like ex-CSX.

Date: 09/07/05 09:44

Photo #5 – The 9710 sitting as the 3588 rolls through.

Date: 09/07/05 09:45

Photo #6 – A bit dark, but still a cool shot.

Date: 09/07/05 09:46

Photo #7 – Rolling through. GP40 #677 and SD40-2 #3588.

Date: 09/07/05 09:47

Photo #8 – Two Alco switchers. All the information I’ve been able to find on these two switchers is that nobody knows anything about them.

Date: 09/07/05 09:47

Photo #9 – One of the Alco switchers. No identifying marks whatsoever.

Date: 09/07/05 09:48

Photo #10 – The second Alco switcher - #2. No other identifying marks.

Date: 09/07/05 09:49

Photo #11 – Well used Santa Fe caboose, but still looks to be in very good shape.

Date: 09/07/05 09:50

Photo #12 – I was able to drive across the tracks and park nearby to get some good close-up shots.

Date: 09/07/05 09:51

Photo #13 – Perfect early morning light for a good profile shot.

This ends Carlsbad, New Mexico – Set 1 of 2
Hope you enjoyed the shots!
Reb Stout
Anaheim, California

Date: 09/07/05 10:14
Author: mderrick

Nice shots, thanks for sharing. 9710 is indeed ex CSX, same number. Originally SCL 1610. All of the new power for the Carlsbad operation came from NRE, and kept their original road numbers from previous owners. SD40-2s are ex UP, as is the 600 series GP40. Believe there is a 9700 series GP40 that is ex IC if memory serves correct.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Date: 09/07/05 10:58

Hi Mike...

Appreciate the info. I had a look at your website. Excellent...a lot of short lines I haven't heard of...meaning I have to go back for a more "in depth" look. Thanks!
Reb

Date: 09/07/05 12:24
Alco Switchers
Author: imrl393

Reb,
Perhaps those Alco switchers came from Pennzoil Sulphur in Rustler Springs, Texas (I'm going on memory here -- I'm at work now and can't look it up positively). The rail line to Rustler Springs was taken up a few years ago, but I remember seeing photos of Alco switchers there with those circular devices just ahead of the cab. I'm not sure what they were for.

Brian Carlson
Rolling Meadows, IL

Date: 09/07/05 12:30
Re: Alco Switchers

Hi Brian...

Excellent information. Certainly a possibility. I couldn't find anything on the net on the switchers...and my train buddies (who are more diesel savvy than I) didn't know anything about the Alcos either. Thanks!
Reb

Date: 09/07/05 21:32
Author: imrl393

Hey Reb,
Got home and looked in my Comprehensive Guide to Industrial Locomotives (I highly recommend it if you don't already have it). Sure enough, there's a picture of #1 (the white one) in there. I'd say it's the same engine -- even the yellow stripes on the stairwell are the same!

Here is the history of each:

#1 -- S2 ex-Duval Sulphur (the previous operator of the facility); ex-Colorado & Wyoming 1104; nee-D&RGW 116. Acquired in 1973.

#2 -- S2 ex-Duval Sulphur, Sahuarita, AZ; ex-Illinois Terminal(!) 1012; nee-IT 711.

According to the photo caption, both locomotives had been extensively rebuilt, right down to the milled & routed hardwood interiors. I'd say you made some fine catches there!

Brian

Date: 09/07/05 21:40

Hi Brian...

Awesome information!! I have an extensive railroad book library, but haven't heard of the Comprehensive Guide to Industrial Locomotives - I'll look into that. I spend more time researching than I do railfanning. Thanks for digging out that info - now I need to send it to my train buddies!
Reb

Date: 09/09/05 16:42
Author: pecosvalleychief

Hey Reb! I had to chuckle as you were describing the storm. I grew up in Roswell and know them well! Wicked ain't they? I was in Roswell in May and noticed BNSF trains still running on that line, mostly south in the afternoon. Also had to pick up a brick from the platform of the burned depot in Roswell where I used to hang out as a kid. (sniff).

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0921 seconds