Home Open Account Help 306 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Hiroshima Streetcars (Japan)

Date: 03/23/14 14:57
Hiroshima Streetcars (Japan)
Author: cchan006

If you like San Francisco's F-Line streetcars, Hiroshima is a MUST visit on your next trip to Japan!

On Wednesday, my 5th full day in Japan, I stopped by Hiroshima on my way from Okayama to Kyushu. It's a tradition for me to stop by whenever I'm in the area, to eat Okonomiyaki (Japanese crepe), fresh oysters, and to joyride the wonderful streetcars.

In the first and second clips, I hop on the modern 5000 series "Green Mover" set to start my joyride from the JR Hiroshima station. Green Mover was brand new and all the rage last time I was in Hiroshima in the mid-2000s, but there have been newer models since then. We meet another Green Mover in the second clip.

I move to the front of the Green Mover for the third clip, where we meet an ex-Fukuoka 3000 series articulated set, then the common 800 series car. When streetcar lines got abandoned throughout Japan between 1960s and 1970s, many of the cars ended up in Hiroshima, where they continue revenue service to this day.

I do a little streetcar foaming, as I catch a 350 series streetcar, fourth clip. 350 series has always been in service in Hiroshima from the start since the late 1950s. I saw this particular one, #352, right behind me, so I detrained the Green Mover specifically to get it. Tomytec has an N scale model of this specific streetcar, which I happen to own.

Ex-Kyoto 1900 series cruises by in the fifth clip during my foaming session. When I spot another one in the distance later, I quickly rush back to ride it, sixth and seventh clips. I own an N scale "B Train Shorty" version of the 1900 series, by the way, in case you sense all the extra foam coming out of my mouth. :-)

- Even newer 5100 series "Green Mover Max" at JR Hiroshima station.
- Control stand of the 5000 series "Green Mover."
- Video clips, as described above and below.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/23/14 15:22
Re: Hiroshima Streetcars (Japan)

While joyriding and foaming the ex-Kyoto streetcar #1910, we meet the 3800 series articulated set, the first in Hiroshima to utilize "VVVF Inverter" (Variable Voltage, Variable Frequency) or AC traction motors for motive power. Hiroshima Electric Railway deployed these cars way back in 1987. After that, #352 shows up once again for a meet, all these in the seventh clip.

I move to the rear of the #1910 and catch a meet with ex-Osaka 900 series streetcar, #905, manufactured in the late 1950s. A story posted on Hiroshima Electric Railway's web site says that an ex-Osaka streetcar motorman was brought to tears when he visited Hiroshima in the 1970s (after the Osaka streetcars were abandoned) and saw these in action.

- Crowded inside the 5000 series Green Mover, while travelling through downtown.
- Less crowded in #1910, where we are headed to the Nishi-Hiroshima (West Hiroshima) suburbs.
- 3700 series, 800 series, and Green Mover meet.

Date: 03/23/14 15:48
Re: Hiroshima Streetcars (Japan)

The video ends with a "generic" 800 series streetcar rolling in front of the city's famous landmark.

The Kobe streetcar #578 that participated in San Francisco's Trolley Festival was running revenue service in Hiroshima before it got shipped to the U.S. Its sister #582 still runs for special occasions in Hiroshima. There are about a half a dozen more historic streetcars I didn't catch on this trip, including the Hanover trolley from Germany, and a couple of 650 series A-Bomb survivors, one of which I rode last time I was here. With so many things of interest, streetcar foamers will need to spend at least 2 days in Hiroshima, not including all the great tourist stuff in the area.

- 3700 series articulated set near the famous landmark.
- My N scale collection plus the Day Pass I used to joyride.

That's all from Hiroshima.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/14 16:06 by cchan006.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds