Home Open Account Help 229 users online

International Railroad Discussion > JR Kyushu and Main Line Steam (Japan)

Date: 04/02/14 22:30
JR Kyushu and Main Line Steam (Japan)
Author: cchan006

On my sixth day in Japan, I was in Kyushu, the southernmost of the four islands that make up Japan. After chasing the 500 series Shinkansen and joyriding the Hiroshima streetcars the day before, I continued heading west and south, and ended up in Shin-Yatsushiro, where I spent the night in a hotel right across from the train station.

My goal was to either ride or chase along the scenic Hisatsu Line from Yatsushiro to Hitoyoshi, then maybe to Yoshimatsu. For those who have played Microsoft Train Simulator (MTS), this is same line where you take a rail diesel car along the ROW which switches back AND loops. I've ridden the MTS segment several times on my previous visits, so I was leaning on renting a car to do a chase, then do a scenic drive without worrying about catching a train, which runs rather infrequently in this segment, about once in two hours each direction.

That plan went out the window when I realized during my train schedule research on Tuesday (fourth day in Japan) that there was a main line steam excursion running on the day I was going to visit! SL Hitoyoshi was the name of the train, where SL stands for (S)team (L)ocomotive. The train was to run from Kumamoto to Yatsushiro then Hitoyoshi, then back to Kumamoto. It wasn't going to run on the MTS segment, due to the lack of a turntable beyond Hitoyoshi, but it was going to run along the beautiful Kumagawa (Kuma River) gorge, so I immediately booked a reservation using my JR Rail Pass while I was still in Tokyo.

FYI, the ticket agent at Tokyo gave me a curious look, then browsed through his ticketing manual to make sure booking a steam locomotive excursion using the JR Rail Pass was allowed. He nodded in approval when he found out it was kosher.

First clip is at Yatsushiro Station, where SL Hitoyoshi arrives. I hopped on a local train ahead of it from Shin-Yatsushiro and waited here, since there was no chase train available to catch up to it.

- Milepost 0 sign and SL Hitoyoshi at Yatsushiro Station.
- 8620 series, #58654 is a 2-6-0 with a coal tender. At Shiroishi Station.
- Video clips, as described above and below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/14 23:05 by cchan006.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/02/14 23:34
Re: JR Kyushu and Main Line Steam (Japan)

Second clip in the video shows a meet with a Kyushu-Odan (translated Trans-Kyushu) Limited Express DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) at Sakamoto Station, viewed from the rear observation car. This train traverses the Kyushu island east and west between the famous hot springs resort of Beppu and Kumamoto, then along the Hisatsu Line to Hitoyoshi. I rode this train several years ago when the service was brand new, and met SL #58654 near Kumamoto, which is how I found out about the existence of JR Kyushu's main line steam excursion. It was appropriate that I was able to capture the meet between these trains.

Third clips shows one of the two American-made truss bridges across Kumagawa (river), then the train goes right into a tunnel which gets engulfed in steam and smoke pretty quickly. Fourth clip shows a typical Kumagawa Gorge scenery viewed from the train. Fifth clip shows the train crossing the other American-made truss bridge.

25 of the 8620 series steam locomotives are preserved, including the class unit #8620 which is on static display in Ome Railroad Park in the suburbs of Tokyo. 672 were manufactured between 1914-1929, and they are affectionately nicknamed "Hachiroku" ("86" in Japanese) by railfans. #58654 was manufactured in 1922, retired from service in 1975, then restored to service in 1988 in anticipation of the 100th Anniversary of Kyushu Railway in 1989. Due to boiler problems from aging, it was retired once again in 2005, but was given a brand new boiler and restored to service again in 2009, in anticipation of the completion of Kyushu Shinkansen project.

FYI, for those who don't want to travel to Kyushu, sister #8630 (manufactured in 1914) is located at the famous Umekoji Steam Locomotive Museum in Kyoto, operable, but not certified for main line service like the #58654.

- Crowded rear observation area.
- Front observation area - the train set doesn't turn around, so there are observation areas on both ends. Nice view of the tender, and nowhere to hide a diesel helper. :-)
- All seats are reserved coach seats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/14 08:49 by cchan006.

Date: 04/03/14 00:07

The SL Hitoyoshi train made a couple of photo/tourist stops between Yatsushiro and Hitoyoshi, at Shiroishi and Isshochi. I was being a bad tourist by being too busy with my camera and not sampling the locally produced tangerines and eating the local bento. However, I did purchase some goods from the gift shop inside the train.

- Inside the cab of the Hachiroku #58654.
- Firebox view (reached in with my camcorder, since I couldn't step inside the cab).
- Crew going through the checklist.

Date: 04/03/14 00:30

The crowded SL Hitoyoshi had all sorts of passengers. There were foamers like me, families with kids, young adults travelling on a budget, elderly couples, foreign tourists, and so forth. I sat next to a couple from Taiwan, who gave me a blank stare when I spoke to them in Japanese. When I started speaking English, the wife said she used to live in Irvine, CA.

- Kids wasted no time at station stops to be close to Hachiroku.
- Look at the rear observation car at Shiroishi station.
- MacBeau moment in Kyushu.

(The railfan secured his camcorder at the end of the rod to record video of the cab without intruding on the crew)

Date: 04/03/14 01:18

Unfortunately, I had to rush back to Tokyo to squeeze in one more foaming trip before my flight back to the U.S., so I couldn't stay in Hitoyoshi to watch the Hachiroku on the turntable. This was due to the eastbound Sunrise Sleeper EMU being sold out that night, which forced a change in my plans. I did get a video of the SL Hitoyoshi shoving then pulling into the maintenance building, sixth and seventh clips. I then had to run back to the station to catch the diesel car back to Kumamoto, where I hopped on a Shinkansen to rush back to Tokyo.

- Mini-museum displaying steam models. The display cases are spread throughout the train.
- Gift shop/concession area. I tried the ice cream. Good, but Hokkaido's was WAY better.
- Mini-library area. This train's got everything!

Date: 04/03/14 07:13
Author: YG

Lucky you to discover the steam opportunity along the way! Thanks for the great photos, video and commentary.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 04/03/14 11:13
Author: CPRR

What a great looking train! She sounded great in the video. Very lucky for you they ran it. What gauge is Japan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/14 11:13 by CPRR.

Date: 04/03/14 23:07

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a great looking train! She sounded great in
> the video. Very lucky for you they ran it. What
> gauge is Japan?

Japan's "standard" gauge is 1067 mm, or 3 ft. 6 in. gauge. Many trains there travel 130 km/h or 81 mph with this gauge. There's a segment on the Hokuetsu Kyuko Line (Japan Sea side, near Niigata) where Limited Express EMUs can travel 160 km/h (99 mph) with this gauge. That line will be impacted (and the 160 km/h running might become uneconomical) when the new "Hokuriku" Shinkansen Line starts service by the end of this year.

Shinkansens use 1435 mm, 4 ft. 8.5 in. gauge, which is THE standard gauge.

Date: 04/04/14 08:56
Author: spdaylight

Great story, photos and video . . . talk about 'being in the right place at the right time'!

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 04/04/14 09:19

YG Wrote:
> Lucky you to discover the steam opportunity along
> the way! Thanks for the great photos, video and
> commentary.
>
> Steve Mitchell
> http://www.yardgoatimages.com

You're welcome!

Steam excursions in Japan have become easier to catch in recent years. In fact, I rushed back to Tokyo to catch another one (D51 #498, 2-8-2, a Mikado), which I'll report on later.

In the past, steam locomotives in Japan would be restored to coincide with anniversaries or major events. However, the one that was restored in December 2013, C58 #239 (2-6-2, a Prairie) was for "economic stimulus," to encourage tourism after the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami. It wasn't scheduled to run while I visited, but it should be running for the upcoming tourist season, including Golden Week.

Wouldn't it be nice if our politicians (in the U.S.) used steam locomotives for "economic stimulus?" :-)

Few more photos before I wrap up my post:

- Future railfan explaining the finer points of Hachiroku to his sister.
- One more shot of the Shiroishi station.
- Snuck in this view of the gorge between tunnels.

Date: 04/04/14 20:41
Author: syscom3

That looks fun!

Date: 04/04/14 23:58
Author: Scoopcat

It is fun! I rode the one in Nigata, a C58, in 2009. Steve

Date: 04/06/14 10:22
Author: Harlock

That is a really nice looking mogul polished to typical Japanese perfection. And always love the spoked pilot wheels.

It's good to know that a JR Rail Pass will get you on SL trips. It is such a good deal. I've done one SL trip in Japan (I can't remember the name at the moment.) and I did not have a JR pass on that particular trip.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 04/06/14 13:24

Harlock Wrote:
> That is a really nice looking mogul polished to
> typical Japanese perfection. And always love the
> spoked pilot wheels.
>
> It's good to know that a JR Rail Pass will get you
> on SL trips. It is such a good deal. I've done
> one SL trip in Japan (I can't remember the name at
> the moment.) and I did not have a JR pass on that
> particular trip.

Almost all SL excursions are reserved seats only, probably to prevent the standing room only overcrowding on unreserved seats, which you probably already knew, but I'm mentioning it for the rest of TO. So it's usually necessary to go to a ticket agent to get a reservation ahead of time.

One ticket agent at Narita Airport flatly refused my request to book a D51 steam trip using the JR Rail Pass several years ago. Rather than being confrontational, I just hopped on the Narita Express (with the JR Rail Pass) and booked it with another agent at Tokyo station, no problemo. Just a reminder that not all ticket agents are properly trained to handle the Rail Pass.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2922 seconds