Home Open Account Help 287 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Peru in 1976

Date: 05/12/14 14:11
Peru in 1976
Author: jbwest

I have been digging through the dusty archives and scanning some "new" pix from my 1976 visit to Peru, which included a visit to the port to see some steam, and rides on the Central and Huancayo y Huancavelica. Too many pix to post here but my album can be found at http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.com/main.php?g2_itemId=349307. Maybe Dale can give an update on the stuff in the pix. The posted photo is something of an object lesson. The original slide was grossly underexposed to the point of being useless. I'm surprised I didn't throw it out during one of my photo spring cleaning orgies. But while it is hardly a great shot now, Photoshop at least made it a serviceable reminder of what existed in 1976. So be careful what you throw out.

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/14 18:38 by jbwest.

Date: 05/12/14 14:46
Re: Peru in 1976
Author: Hartington

I was lucky to ride the Tren a las Nubes in 2001. Well, "lucky" might not be the right word. We had a brand new Argentine built diesel on the front and it gave out about 2/3rds of the way up. Eventually buses appeared and we were shuttled along a rough road to the main highway where we were met by a very nice luxury coach. However, the road went back down the gorge you picture and it was still a gravel road in those days (may still be) and in the dark it was a little worrying. Still, we got back to Salta in one piece - great fun in retrospect!

Date: 05/12/14 15:26

Hartington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was lucky to ride the Tren a las Nubes in 2001.
> Well, "lucky" might not be the right word. We
> had a brand new Argentine built diesel on the
> front and it gave out about 2/3rds of the way up.
> Eventually buses appeared and we were shuttled
> along a rough road to the main highway where we
> were met by a very nice luxury coach. However,
> the road went back down the gorge you picture and
> it was still a gravel road in those days (may
> still be) and in the dark it was a little
> worrying. Still, we got back to Salta in one
> piece - great fun in retrospect!

I was a bit confused until I figured out you had found my Argentine album. It sounds as if trips over C-14 are still an adventure. As I mentioned in my captions, we lost two tires driving the road to and from San Antonio de los Cobres. And out of San Antonio the train stalled, etc. etc. An interesting part of the world.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/14 15:36 by jbwest.

Date: 05/13/14 00:27
Author: 86235

I would hazard a guess that the saddletank is a product of Hudswell Clarke of Leeds, England. They were a major builder of industrial steam and it looks a lot like the locomotives they built for quarries, mines and steelworks in GB and beyond.

Date: 05/13/14 09:54

Have no info on 36, but according to Roy Christian and Ken Mills 35 and 40 were Hunslet products.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/14 10:12 by jbwest.

Date: 05/13/14 20:28
Author: DWBrown

John,

Only one switcher, a 0-4-0T #20 is preserved in Lima at the Surco Park with the narrow gauge railway. Two other standard gauge 0-4-0T are dumped in Chiclayo station in the north. I have some photos and will post them when I get them out of the collection.

Dale Brown

Date: 05/13/14 22:22
Author: jmt

Bob Whetham in "Railways of Peru - Vol2" 2008, Trackside Publications, Bristol UK (one of the first volumes published by Chris Walker on taking over Trackside)

The second loco to be numbered 36 was a Hunslet 0-6-0 tank 3690/50 (first was Baldwin 2-6-0 19878/01). The Hunslet was ex FCS #40 and transferred to FCC in 1952

Date: 05/16/14 14:17
Author: 86235

jmt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob Whetham in "Railways of Peru - Vol2" 2008,
> Trackside Publications, Bristol UK (one of the
> first volumes published by Chris Walker on taking
> over Trackside)
>
> The second loco to be numbered 36 was a Hunslet
> 0-6-0 tank 3690/50 (first was Baldwin 2-6-0
> 19878/01). The Hunslet was ex FCS #40 and
> transferred to FCC in 1952

Well at least I got WHERE it was made :-) Both Hudswell Clarke and Hunslet were based in Leeds.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0741 seconds