Home Open Account Help 338 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Question About Chinese Steam

Date: 06/12/14 19:05
Question About Chinese Steam
Author: lynnpowell

Does anybody know, has China stored any quantities of steam locomotives, "just in case", like the Russians did when they dieselized/electrified? Or, was there a "wholesale slaughter" of what was left in 2005?

Date: 06/13/14 01:20
Re: Question About Chinese Steam
Author: bakersfielddave

i have a colleague who does trips to China to see trains a few steam trips also last 10 years check back and i should have an answer for you in a few days

unfortunately he hasnt any info on the current state of affairs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/14 17:38 by bakersfielddave.

Date: 06/13/14 07:19
Author: sgerken

The Ji Tong scraped all of theirs except 2 to run on special occasions and ~6 that were stuffed and mounted at their former steam shops in Dabon. I don't think the stuff and mounted ones are stored to ever run again.

Date: 06/13/14 09:53
Author: PERichardson

Like most countries, they've probably demolished much of the steam infrastructue making steam operations very difficult in the future.

Date: 06/16/14 12:55
Author: march_hare

Ji tong had hardly any steam infrastructure to start with. They loaded coal with clamshells when I saw them, and the shops were pretty spartan inside.

Date: 06/18/14 14:29
Author: Darryl

JiTong has 10 or so QJs plinthed at Daban depot but many components have been stripped from them. There is a supposed 'strategic reserve' at Da'an Bei that can be seen via google maps. A bunch of locos at China Rail Baotou also, but unlikely they will ever be called upon. I was back over there in Feb and there's not much left! Some pictures from my trip a page or so back here: http://www.flickr.com/kiwibonds

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds