Home Open Account Help 256 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Thomas in Japan.

Date: 06/25/14 00:52
Thomas in Japan.
Author: Hartington

A few years ago, quite by chance, I came across a "Thomas" weekend at a preserved railway in the USA. Thomas was represented by what I refer to as a cardboard cut out fitted around a wagon. The wheels of Thomas didn't touch the rails and the steam was just a dribble at a constant rate from the chimney. Power was provided by a diesel at the far end of the train.

As a Brit I'm used to a real steam loco at Thomas events with a face attached to the loco.

I was lucky enough to visit the Oigawa railway in Japan some years ago and they've now taken creating a Thomas a step further with the whole loco painted and lined out. http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/06/25/life-size-thomas-the-tank-engine-begins-running-on-japanese-railroad/

Date: 06/25/14 10:30
Re: Thomas in Japan.
Author: Harlock

The Strausburg Railroad in Pensylvania, USA has a real steam Thomas as well. They build most of the units used here in the states, steam or otherwise.

I've ridden on the Oigawa railway. It's a nice little ride up a canyon and there is a musician on board that sings with the kids, good for families. This seems to be a good fit for them. It's amusing seeing Thomas bolted on to a very Japanese looking tank engine. :D

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 06/26/14 00:11
Author: bakersfielddave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwned36mAWc

the test run

and turning on 'camptown races' turntable

Date: 06/29/14 14:34
Author: cchan006

Harlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've ridden on the Oigawa railway. It's a nice
> little ride up a canyon and there is a musician on
> board that sings with the kids, good for families.
> This seems to be a good fit for them. It's
> amusing seeing Thomas bolted on to a very Japanese
> looking tank engine. :D
>
> -M

Looks like the railway used the second of their C11s (#227) for the Thomas coversion. They have 3 other tank engines, C11 #190, C10 #8, and C12 #164. JR Hokkaido also has a C11 (#171) for main line excursion, and I missed riding that by a day last March while I was in Japan.

Oigawa Railway foresaw the allure of steam right after the government-run JNR (Japan National Railway) abandoned steam in the 1970s. They are known as the first organization in Japan to restore steam to operation, preceding the current Steam Locomotive Boom by decades.

Oigawa Railway (with Japan's last remaining active cog railroad) was on my list of location to visit few months ago. I was making tentative plans until I found out about JR East's C58 #239 and SL Ginga, and planned that trip instead. Hope to post a report on this railroad sometime in the future.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds