Home Open Account Help 375 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Mexico Copper Canyon Railroad

Date: 07/26/14 15:06
Mexico Copper Canyon Railroad
Author: mukinduri

I made the trip from Chihuahua to Los Mochis last week. The railroad crosses the rugged Sierra Madre mountains. It is justifiably rated as one of the most spectacular train journeys in the world.

I had hoped to see more freight trains. In the 16 hour journey we only met one freight train consisting of grain hoppers and empty flats. The train had three engines on the point. I estimate the train was about half a mile long. On arrival at Los Mochis there was another train waiting to depart in the direction of Chihuahua.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/14 15:36 by mukinduri.

Date: 07/26/14 15:11
Re: Mexico Copper Canyon Railroad

At the midway point, El Divisidero the train stopped for 15 minutes to look out over a deep canyon, buy some handicrafts made by the local Indians and to try the delicious local take-away food.

A bit further down the line we passed this works train.

Date: 07/26/14 15:16

The train has some audacious engineering, including two loops where the line psses over itself.

In the following sequence of shots the train enters a tunnel and then emerges high above a valley (to the left of the waterfall in the second photo). The line then makes a 180 degree loop inside a tunnel and then another 180 degree loop as it crosses a river.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/14 15:38 by mukinduri.

Date: 07/26/14 15:36

Practicalities.

Trains leave (same time each end) Chihuahua and Los Mochis at 6.00 am (tourist train), cost about US$200 for the 16 hour trip.
Ordianry train departs 7.00 am Chihuahua Monday, Thursday and Saturday and Los Mochis Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. Cost US$125.

I found the ordinary train clean, comfortable and air conditioned. There was a buffet car with basic but adequate fare. I see no reason to pay extra for the tourist train. I bought my ticket at Chihuahua railway station the day before departure.

I thoroughly recommend the trip.

Date: 07/26/14 16:37
Author: railcity

mukinduri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Practicalities.
>
> Trains leave (same time each end) Chihuahua and
> Los Mochis at 6.00 am (tourist train), cost about
> US$200 for the 16 hour trip.
> Ordianry train departs 7.00 am Chihuahua Monday,
> Thursday and Saturday and Los Mochis Tuesday,
> Friday and Sunday. Cost US$125.
>
> I found the ordinary train clean, comfortable and
> air conditioned. There was a buffet car with basic
> but adequate fare. I see no reason to pay extra
> for the tourist train. I bought my ticket at
> Chihuahua railway station the day before
> departure.
>
> I thoroughly recommend the trip.

When did Mexico start up train service again?? Did'nt Mexico stop all they train in late 90s early 2000s?? Does the train Diner car or sleeping cars?

Date: 07/26/14 16:38
Author: wag216

To check the history, read the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient by Dr. John McCall and Robert Pounds. (yes, I have an invested interest, as Mrs. Wag216 is the daughter of one of the Orient draftsmen and the grandfather of the Orient Storeroom Manager.)
wag216

Date: 07/26/14 20:58

I don't think the passenger train service ever stopped. Both the train I was on and the upbound train we met at El Divisidero were pretty full. There were only a few foreign tourists on board, perhaps because of all the drug related killings which have generated huge amounts of bad publicity for Mexico. My train, and presumably the others, carried armed guards in case of an armed holdup which happened once some 15 years ago.

I stayed one night in Cuidad Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. Cuidad Juarez had a bad reputation. Locals insist that for the past year Cuidad Juarez has been tranquil and safe.

Date: 07/27/14 03:43
Author: mundo

Service on the Copper Canyon route, never stopped. It did stop elsewhere.

Service and equipment is greatly improved now on Chepe.

Its z day train, needs no sleepers. 40 years ago, they had a two day a week train that was at night, with sleepers.

The faster train caries a diner. As story says the slower train is snack/buffet.

Date: 07/27/14 09:51
Author: YG

It's one of the most amazing rail experiences I've ever had. Take this trip!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 07/27/14 09:58
Author: FrensicPic

Very nice. Remember seeing/hearing about that a while back and thought that'd be a pretty cool trip.
Thanks for posting.
John

Date: 07/28/14 22:34
Author: 567Chant

In pic 9, it appears as though the hillside monument to the builders has fallen into disrepair.
In times past, it featured a locomotive cab 'emerging' from the mountainside.
I recommend overnighting at the lodge atop the cliffs at Divisidero.
A 15 minute layover is not sufficient.
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0807 seconds