Home Open Account Help 319 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Myanmar to London a compilation

Date: 08/06/14 11:17
Myanmar to London a compilation
Author: GettingShort

Back home after a trip of a little more than two months. This time east to west traveling through Myanmar, a little Thailand, China, the DPRK, Japan, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania and finally to Paris, London and back to LAX. I posted a few during the trip but here's sort of a round up of the journey.

First the foreign traveler advance sale ticket counter in Yangon, things here are still done in triplicate with the use of carbon paper. But it's all very efficient and the clerks are very helpful.

On the morning train from Yangon to Mandalay, I only went as far as the junction town of Thazi. Several monks bouncing along in upper class coach.

Loading priority freight in the express baggage car. It's either vegetables or the wrapper leaves for making Burmese cheroots.

Date: 08/06/14 11:22
Re: Myanmar to London a compilation

A DMU in Yangon, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, I have no idea, but the coach behind it is home made.

A goods car that also serves as space for conductors? Navvies?

Meeting a north bound train. Arriving in Yangon from Bagan.

Date: 08/06/14 11:33

At the Pyongyang, DPRK railway station, a last group shot before some of the group returned to Beijing by train. Four of us are wearing Kim Il-sung commemorative pins, the two of us on the right had just been awarded the pin that morning.

A change of pace, I ended up with 8 days before my Russian visa was valid so I decided to go to Japan. I was born in Kobe, so why not visit. Luckily I was able to meet a couple of men were students of my father when he was teaching at Wakayama University after WWII. This was my first time back in Japan, and the country is probably the most interesting, confusing, baffling place I've visited and I want to go back.
Train to Wakayama.

Local to Nara and my caters old students.

Date: 08/06/14 11:37

I tried to stay off the high speed trains, they are amazing, comfortable and convenient, but to much like horizontal elevators for my taste. I much preferred these regional services on the Japanese gauge lines.

They are simply some of the most comfortable trains I've ever ridden.

Date: 08/06/14 11:52

I did take the time to spend a couple days in Hiroshima. A frightening, depressing, but long rebuilt and modern in that Japanese way. Foul weather deprived me of the chance to go to a Hiroshima Toyo Carp home game. Another reason to go back.

Another EMU this time a Matsue

Date: 08/06/14 11:56

Short video of the ride on what seem to be tilt body EMU's

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/06/14 12:06

Last for now.

Back in Beijing this is the once a week train from Beijing to Moscow via Manchuria. Train 19 The Vostok. It's a six day six night ride to Moscow but the train is very comfortable and had a restaurant car, Chinese to the Russian border then a much better Russian car the rest of the way to Moscow. The main use of the restaurant car in China was as a place for the crew to smoke and try and swindle diners out of more than the correct bill. I found the food ok, but the multiple, You No Pay!. Pay Now! even though I knew from past trips to leave the bill and my change on the table so I could point to it and tell them to go away. The third time I light a cigarette told the waitress to get lost in so many words, the cook winked at me and gave me an ashtray. No more problems. Maybe all I should have done is smoked from the beginning and the waitress would have know I understand the Chinese way.

Date: 08/06/14 17:30
Author: railcity

How much Money did this trip cost you for 2 full months train travel?? $10,000 to $20,000 dollars??

Date: 08/07/14 07:32
Author: YG

Excellent collection of photos from your trip. I suspect these are just the tip of the iceberg and hope you share more.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/07/14 07:34

railcity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much Money did this trip cost you for 2 full
> months train travel?? $10,000 to $20,000 dollars??

This trips 67 days were more expensive than last years 88. That was largely due to the week+ in Japan and then the time in Paris and London. All interesting lovely places to visit but in my judgement not worth the expense. There are other parts of the world more interesting and certainly more affordable. All you have to do is take that first step that seems like it's a bit outside your comfort zone and a whole world of experience opens up.

Not counting airfares I spent under $10K. I splurged a couple times on hotels. Last year I rarely stayed anywhere but hostels and guesthouses, spent less per day and probably had better experiences meeting other travelers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/14 07:47 by GettingShort.

Date: 08/07/14 09:26
Author: railcity

GettingShort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> railcity Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How much Money did this trip cost you for 2
> full
> > months train travel?? $10,000 to $20,000
> dollars??
>
>
> This trips 67 days were more expensive than last
> years 88. That was largely due to the week+ in
> Japan and then the time in Paris and London. All
> interesting lovely places to visit but in my
> judgement not worth the expense. There are other
> parts of the world more interesting and certainly
> more affordable. All you have to do is take that
> first step that seems like it's a bit outside your
> comfort zone and a whole world of experience opens
> up.
>
> Not counting airfares I spent under $10K. I
> splurged a couple times on hotels. Last year I
> rarely stayed anywhere but hostels and
> guesthouses, spent less per day and probably had
> better experiences meeting other travelers.

Thank You.

Date: 08/07/14 09:42
Author: nicknack

Awesome travel photos! I wonder how much further north into Scotland or if a trip to the northern parts of norway/sweeden would count as the longest continuous trip by rail on the planet?

Date: 08/26/14 14:44
Author: MEKoch

I spotted a Pennsy position light signal on the video clip!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1007 seconds