Home Open Account Help 397 users online

International Railroad Discussion > A lot of American steam for 1970

Date: 08/17/14 14:41
A lot of American steam for 1970
Author: jbwest

The Ferrocarriles de Guatemala was "steamizing" in 1970. There was no money for spare parts for diesels, so steamers were being taken off the dead line and returned to service. The Guatemala City roundhouse and shops was an amazing place. While "American" in style, the 171 and 168 in the second picture are actually Krupp products, built more or less to Baldwin specifications, except the Krupps had copper fireboxes.

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/14 17:08 by jbwest.

Date: 08/17/14 14:44
Busy steam backshop

The Guatemala shops and their skilled work force could repair or fabricate about anything needed for a steam engine. More stuff about IRCA and Fegua can be found here: http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2460

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/14 14:46 by jbwest.

Date: 08/17/14 19:55
Re: Busy steam backshop
Author: africansteam

Lovely work as usual, John.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 08/18/14 07:22
Re: Busy steam backshop
Author: YG

Amazing photos!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/18/14 10:14
Re: A lot of American steam for 1970
Author: retcsxcfm

Photo number one is a killer!!

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 08/18/14 11:33
Author: Harlock

Wonderful, wonderful pictures. What a great and unique experience that must have been.

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 08/18/14 12:55

Harlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a great and
> unique experience that must have been.

It was a lot of fun, brings back good memories, and I still have good friends made on the trips to Guatemala. But when you look back from the vantage point of 45 years later, what jumps out are the pix you missed, the next visit you failed to get to. Human nature seems to be to take things for granted, and then they're gone. Damn, I've gotta get off my butt and get back to the NN or get some construction pix of the new SMART line in my backyard.

JBWX

Date: 08/18/14 13:44
Author: Harlock

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harlock Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What a great and
> > unique experience that must have been.
>
> It was a lot of fun, brings back good memories,
> and I still have good friends made on the trips to
> Guatemala. But when you look back from the
> vantage point of 45 years later, what jumps out
> are the pix you missed, the next visit you failed
> to get to. Human nature seems to be to take
> things for granted, and then they're gone. Damn,
> I've gotta get off my butt and get back to the NN
> or get some construction pix of the new SMART line
> in my backyard.
>
> JBWX

I started reading the longer back story on the IRCA on your site and will have to do it in depth at home. At least you were there and did see and do a lot. One can only do so much in a lifetime without unlimited means :)

I've only been doing railroad photos since about '07 and already there's things that have changed or are gone that I'm glad I got.

I came in a little too late for the China railfanning rennaisance, that's all gone. Cuba? Nope. Central and South America? Nope. South Africa? Nope. But you guys all went and got great pictures and I enjoy them here. There are a few things still out there that I hope to go and see. The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway is a good example of a 'see it now' railroad, it is hanging on by a thread due to the slowness of Indian Railways bureaucracy, despite the efforts of UNESCO and the DHRS to prod them into action. It's hard to tell when the next monsoon will come wash it out for good. Already the Palga Jora slip has been very difficult to repair, but the landslip around Tindharia Workshop has been at least temporarily repaired.

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds